Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

installing ports??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graywolf96

Instructor
Apr 9, 2001
US
I'm stymied. Paid $5 at work for an old p1 133 and buffing it up for my retired mother-in-law (oh please) to play card games on and some simple free internet access like Juno.

The Problem. When installing the generic CompUSA 56 PCI fax\modem, it automatically installs it on port 4. And the computer does not recognize port 4 as open. (port 1 is mouse, port 2 available, port 3 had novelle network info on it). So I checked my p3 and p4 and they had the modem installed on port 3. So I figure my work had the network talking to it on port 3 and my bright idea was to remove it in "Devices" thinking that when I rebooted...it would reinstall a pure port 3. Not so. Gone. For good. And I don't see anything in BIOS that would bring it back. (I teach software but love tinkering\learning with 'puters)

The question: How do I get port 3 back. Can I change its assignment and reassign the modem to it or is there something in the "msconfig" that I need to modify? How can I get port 4 to work? Any help from you brainiacs would be appreciated. I love this site and read an hour every day.

Try running the add new hardware wizard (in control panel)

Wolluf's idea is a good one, but if that doesn't work:

Did you make sure the 56K modem would work with a 133mhz? The newer modems want at least 166mhz or more to run.

Is the bios set to pnpOS (yes)?

The older boards did not play well with com3 when a mouse was on com 1 since they are on the same irq. Com2 or 4 would be a better fix to keep it away from the mouse and on an older board Com2 is probably what it should be on.

Make sure the bios is set to auto on the comports along with pnpOS set to yes as it will allow windows to set the parameters.

Let us know how it goes! ggebhart@clover.net
I hope I never get too old or arrogant to learn something new!

Wolluf: As instructed, went to add new hardware and installed a new port 3. Thanks.

Lgebhart: Could not find anything that resembled pnpOS in BIOS, I see what you mean about the IRQ 4 conflict between Com 1 and Com3. Checked and the modem required 133mhz BUUUUT...it did say something about using MMX technology...and that, by process of elimination, must be the culprit. I assume MMX is soemthing on the motherboard and not in the operating system. Anyways, after farting around forever (but always a learning experience), I yanked the US Robotics 56 modem out of my P3 and it installed first time. But on this mysterious Com 4 (which is not seen in devices...why??). All is well. Thanks guys.

MMX is part of the CPU capability and wasn't introduced until the 200mhz, I think. Com4 may not be showing if the modem is in a ISA slot or if the modem card had jumpers that set it to COM 4 and Windows did not have anything to do with it, but hey it's working! Good for you! ggebhart@clover.net
I hope I never get too old or arrogant to learn something new!

in the start menu <RUN> regedit. Careful when using this to change settings!! Under EDIT\FIND try searching for 'COM3'. The search is case sensitive. If com 3 was used previously, and was not unloaded properly when the board was removed, parts of the old install may still remain, and the computer may think it is still being used. Careful if changing the registry. Backup is very wise.
I first ran into this when using multiport cards (4 & 8 ports per card). When I took the old 4 port card out, I couldn't load the 8 port card lower than port 9.
hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back