Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing PHP

Status
Not open for further replies.

omegabeta

Programmer
Aug 20, 2003
RO
I have no experience with PHP. Now I want to install on my home computer with Win98(to make some php programms) and on a NT4.0 workstation at my office to run as a web server .

1.Can I use PHP without Apache Server or is recommended to use it?
2. PHP has a graphical interface as we have in a visual products or I must use a text editor to edit a php file then trying to run somehow(I don't know how). If so how can I debugg such a file ?
3. To use databases must I use MySql ?

Please excuse me my ignorance but I'm a beginner in PHP.

You don't have to use Apache, however you will need to use a webserver to serve the pages to a browser. Just like HTML.

PHP itself is an interpreted language. This means that it is compiled on the computer and the code is executed. How you got there doesn't matter to PHP. You can use an IDE (a visual interface for creating PHP code) or a text editor. Either way, it's still PHP code. An example of that would be HTML. You can use Frontpage or Notepad, but the end result is the same.

You don't have to use MySQL. MySQL tends to be the choice for most PHP programmers as the support is built into the latest versions of PHP. You can use Postgress or mSQL/mSQL2, etc.

·genoa

If a dog craps in the yard and buries it, is that considered steganography?

I guess, I could give you my opinion on how I would setup an NT box... I'm sure everyone will chirp in with their opinions as well.

I would install Apache2 on NT to serve the pages.

I would install the latest version of PHP as a module. mod_php for Apache.

I would use MySQL, since the latest version of PHP has MySQL support built-in.

The install is simple for Apache2, PHP and MySQL on a Windows machine as well.

·genoa

Hi Genoa,

Can you give me a link to a setup or another exe file that could install Apache+PHP+MySql without other require additional settings ?

Hi Genoa,

Can you give me a link to a setup or another exe file that could install Apache+PHP+MySql without needed additional settings ?

I wish I could.

(download apache2 windows installation)
(download win32 installation)
(download win32 installation)

Basically download all of those, then follow the install instructions.

I say this, because its neccessary... read the install instructions. Skip past any non Windows stuff, but make sure to read all the README files and INSTALL files that contain Windows/Win32 installation information.

·genoa

Omegabeta,

Here is a link that you can use to help with your installation.. I had to change a couple of lines from what is shown in it but that was due to different paths, etc..

I had never used php or mysql before and was successful on the very first try.. (I think this covers apache installation too, because I did all three the same day??)

Good Luck,
Brian

For an straight forward solutin to install Apache, Perl, PHP and mySQL on a windows box (NT or 2k), I have a document that outlines all the above.

It even works *without* any registry settings what-so-ever.

If your still interested...

web.torres.ws/dev/php

Hope it helps

walter

Hi Waltert,

Please give me the exactly website address.

Thanks

He did, he just forgot the TGML link tags. Just copy and paste his link into a browser window.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back