Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing oracle 8i on unix11 - Requirments/Urgent (PLS) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

orauxpro

MIS
Jun 21, 2001
SA
Hello Everybody

I am planing to install oracle 8i on our hp-ux server, my questions are as the follow:

1. does the hp-ux has to be in GUI mode.
2. how can install the GUI for the hp-ux.
3. how can i install the patches.
4. how can i configure the kernals, and what kernals do i have to edit.

thanks everybody.

oraux

you don't need the gui to install

you install hpux s/w, including patches, using the swinstall utility, which doesn't need the gui either

Mike
michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com
Email welcome if you're in a hurry or something -- but post in tek-tips as well please, and I will post my reply here as well.

hi mike, i didnt mean to install unix, i ment to install oracle 8i on unix, does unix have to be gui, and how can i make my unix gui.

thanks.

hi there

unix doesn't have to be gui to install Oracle -- I'm not an X-Windows person so I can't tell you how to get that going, sorry Mike
Email welcome if you're in a hurry or something -- but post in tek-tips as well please, and I will post my reply here as well.

If I'm not mistaken, beginning with 8i Oracle no longer has a non-GUI installer.

Do you have a terminal emulation program like Hummingbird's Exceed or Reflection X? If you do, just export your display (as the Oracle user) like this: export DISPLAY=<IP address of your PC>:0.0

Any HP-UX patches that are required should be installed with HP's swinstall command. HP's site should be able to help you on downloading the patches and installing them, although it can be a little tricky.

I have never had to install Oracle patches. Have you checked Oracle's site for information?

You will have to change kernel parameters on HPUX. This is what Oracle has about that:

Example on HP-UX (relevant sections only):
------------------------------------------
Semaphore Related Parameters
maximum value for semaphores(semaem)= 16384
Semaphore map(semmap)= 4098
number of semaphore identifiers(semmni) = 4096
total number of semaphores in the system(semmns) = 8192
number of semaphore undo structures(semmnu) = 1536
semaphore undo entries per process(semume) = 512
semaphore maximum value(semvmx) = 32767

Shared Memory Related Parameters
maximum shared memory segment size in bytes(shmmax) = 536870912
minimum shared memory segment size in bytes(shmmin) = 1
maximum shared memory segments in system (shmmni) = 512
maximum shared memory segments per process(shmseg) = 512

I also changed my maxdsiz parameter to 1073741824. This may differ from your system.

You can check Oracle's site for information about HP-UX parameters.

Make sure your /tmp directory is large enough. You will need about 200 MB. Oracle uses /tmp during its linking process. My first installation failed because /tmp wasn't big enough.

Which version of Oracle are you installing? 8.1.5, 8.1.6, 8.1.7? I have heard 8.1.5 is buggy. 8.1.6's dbstart script has a mistake in it that makes it impossible to start the database. Oracle has a fix for it: you have to edit the script. 8.1.7 is a 2 CD install and you have to be careful where you run the runInstaller command from because about 80% into the installation, you have to unmount the first CD. If you use runInstaller from the mount point, you won't be able to unmount it and mount the second CD.

oops <blush> sorry.... Mike

Just so you know:
When you have Oracle running, but you can only get one or two instances started, the semmni and semmns kernel parms might require higher values.. We had to learn this the hard way.

Greets, Wout

Hi all,
I have installed Oracle 8.1.6 on HP-Ux 11.0. The installation was a typical one and went without any problems.

The database is mounting and opened. But I can't run the SQLPLUS from unix.

It gives me the following error message.

Memory Fault(Core Dump).

Even though the import and export (imp & exp) command is working fine.

Also I am able to connect to the database using a windows client. I can also run the sqlplus from the client machine.

Please help me out with this problem. I haven't installed any patches. If there is any patches to be installed please let me know about it and the site where I can find it.

Regards
Shaji Chacko

What are the settings for your kernel? See my previous (long) answer about kernel settings (the fifth message in this thread).

That might be your problem, especially if you have your Oracle settings set high.

Princesecond: Could you elaborate on your question? are you having problems installing 8.1.7? And if you are, what are they?

I have an 8.1.7.2 database on HP-UX 11 64-bit with one instance. I'm going to be adding some new instances, and I need to find out what kernel parameters to change as I add instances. I've already followed the Oracle guide for setting the kernel parameters when I installed (and patched).....but what about for just adding more instances?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back