Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing onboard video driver on ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

popseven

Technical User
Apr 4, 2006
PH
Hi,

I've installed linux (ubuntu to be exact) for the very first time.
I'd like to ask how can I install my video driver (onboard). I can see from my installation CD a folder named linux. Under it is a file named SAVAGE_DRV.O
Can anybody please show me the rights step(s) how to successfully install this driver?

TIA,
popseven

Hi thedaver, I presumed it was not loaded because I just installed ubuntu and didn't install yet any of my hardware drivers (found on the installation CD). I presumed that just like in MSWindows, that it will initially load default driver(s) for any of the available devices(hardware). If it is not a burden to you, can you please tell me how to check if the driver is already loaded?

Doesn't the driver come with any documentation? If all you have is the savage_drv.o file, that doesn't tell us much. It doesn't look like a kernel module, as those are usually .ko extensions. And even if it was, there's no indication of which kernel version it's for, so there's no way to tell if it would even work.

My advice would be: don't bother. As Linux distributions go, Ubuntu has about the best driver support you can find. Unless you know that you need a particular driver for a particular reason, then the "default" driver will work just fine. It will probably be newer than whatever is on the CD anyway.

And you can check in the config-file witch drivers
it uses with:
Code:
grep -i 'driver' /etc/X11/xorg.conf
This will list all driver in X (the grafical enviroment)
including those for keyboard, mice, videocard and touchscreen(wacom)

Hope this helps :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back