Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

installing on windows 2000 server.....error message

Status
Not open for further replies.

crows27

MIS
Sep 4, 2001
US
I'm installing 5.5 on a w2k server with SP2. The server is part of a domain but when i try installing the program tells me the server must be part of a domain to install exchange.

Has anyone else seen this message?

thanks

Yes. If it is your only Win2k server and even though it is a member of a NT4 domain you have to install AD:-( >:-<

I already have a DC and a File/Print server in the domain..all w2k.

This may be a false lead but I have had problems when installing 5.5 on Win 2k.

This is using a Select CD and running svrmax.exe (or svrmin.exe I guess). The resolution here is to copy the CD to a hard drive and change the install program (svrmax.exe) to setup.exe and running the install from the hard drive.

Cannot do any harm trying.

Steve

Try two things,

First, make sure you are logged in with a domain admin account.

If that doesn't help, Locate the DefaultDomainName value under the following key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

If DefaultDomainName is set to the local computer name, change it to the domain name that the computer account is in, and then try to install Exchange Server again.

Regards.

Here's an even easier one that tricked me first time - before installing, put your server on a network / hub / switch / linked to another computer. If the network cable is reading as disconnected things don't work right...

well first off....don't i feel stupid.

The server was logging me in locally and not to the network. Thanks for the posts....

STGI...Thanks for the registry edit...good to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back