Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

installing NW6 into an NW411 network

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluid11

IS-IT--Management
Jan 22, 2002
US
I'm running a NetWare 4.11 server and I want to install a NetWare 6 server into the tree. What are the prerequisites on NW411 before I install NW6?

From what I've been reading in the Novell Press book, all I have to do is the following. Is this information correct? Does anybody have anything to add to this?

- install support pack IWSP5B on NW411
- ensure that NDS is healthy
- copy NDS 5.99a to the server. I guess this is ds.nlm v5.99a?
- it says to create a batch file to copy all of the files from DS411L.EXE to the appropriate directory on each NW411 server. I'm not sure what DS411L.EXE is?

Thanks for your help,
Chris

Running NWDeploy.exe from the NW6 install CD should check/update the prerequisits for you. I would start with a fully patched NW4.11 box i.e. SP9.

Just gone through this process but doing an in place upgrade from NW4.11 to NW6.0

Mark

Thanks for your response.

I was just reading something similar in Novell's support forums. This Novell Press book that I've been reading is full of errors.

Can you please let me know if this is how you do it, or add anything that I'm missing?

1. udpate NW411 to SP9
2. run NWDEPLOY to verify NDS patch levels and to extend the schema with NW6 objects
3. run DSREPAIR to correct any NDS errors
4. install NW6 into the 411 tree
5. update NW6 to SP1

Is there any reason to run the Migration Wizard? It sounds like I only need it if I'm going to replace the 411 server with an NW6 box?

Before the migration, do I have to copy the DSREPAIR.NLM from the eDirectory CD to the NW411 server?

Thanks a lot for your help,
Chris

I just read that I also have to download an updated filesys.nlm file and place that in the C:\NWSERVER directory on the DOS partition on all NW6 SP1 servers.

-ChrisP

DataIP user you said that you did a in place upgrade did you use the Accelerated Ugrade program

This thread is 3.5 months old. Since then, I've done inplace upgrades from 4.11 to 6.0. All I did was update the 4.11 server to the highest support pack and ran NWDeploy from the NW6 CD. At that point, you should be able to boot from the NW6 CD and select upgrade.

ChrisP

Yeh Thats the way we are going to go I've tried a about four Accelerated upgrades and they have all failed, but the inplace upgrades using the CD have worked. Takes a bit more time but it worth it.

Hi guys,
Currently I am having problem with replication between Netware 6 and Netware 4.11. The master root is a Netware 4.11 with DS v6.17. However the master root unable to sync to Netware 6 with error -637. The Netware 6 is already patch up with Support Pack 2. Previously this Netware 6 was migrated from a Netware 4.11 using Migration Wizard Tool to a new hardware. Another information is that, on DSREPAIR, the Netware 6 was recoqnize as New Replica. Do you guys encounter this problem before?

I did see this message when I was putting a my second nw6 server into my nw4.11 tree. I ran dsrepair on the master which is a 4.11 box then ran the dsrepair on my existing nw6 box it found over 400 errors who know where from. The errors then disappeared. One thing I did note when I was getting the 637 errors on the nw411 boxes I wasn't getting any errors flagged up on the nw6 boxes.

Yew,

I was under the understanding that when moving to new versions in a mixed environment that the master root server is the one that you should do first so that you can extend the schema throughout the tree.

Hi guys,
Currently I am having a net with 26 Netware 4.11 servers, all with the latest versions of the appropriate DS and SP´s.
I trying to install a Netware 6 in the network, but I have
a boring problem with replication between Netware 6 and Netware 4.11.
The master root is a Netware 4.11 and the Netware 6 is already patch up with Support Pack 2.
Few minutes than the NW6 is in the tree, the objects (users, volumen and servers) may show as being unknown, you know... showing up as a yellow question mark.
When I remove the NW6 from de tree all works fine!
I check the support site of Novell to search any information or issue, but the information is so poor..
I supposed tha this environment no is usually.
Do you know where I can find information about this problem? Anybody has this problem before?
Thanks for your help.

Carlos Rivera Liste

Carlos-

I think your problem lies with the Master ROOT Replica. When we went to upgrade, we had NW 4.11 and NW 5.1 in our tree, Novell told us that the NW 6 server had to be in the ROOT replica ring, preferably as the Master. We brought the server up in another tree, extended the schema into the production tree. After Syncing over the weekend, we brought the server into the tree and promoted it to the master, and all is well. It maybe that your schema did not get extended, which would account for all your unknowns.

We have 4.11, 5.1 and 6 co-existing in the tree with few problems. The secret is keeping the replica rings consistent.

Have any of you used DSMERGE to solve the problems of getting the 6 server into a 4 tree? What version of DS are all the servers running?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back