Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

installing novell

Status
Not open for further replies.

tottie

MIS
Jan 5, 2003
hi, im new to this.
what preparations do i need to install novell? im very familiar with windowsxx servers. is there a big difference that i should note to install novell?
which file system? fat16 or fat32?

i tried installing but it wont continue.

is it possible for a dual booting windows98 & novell?

help.

tottie

I am not sure what you are attempting to do. However, assuming you are trying to experiment with creating a Novell server, why Netware 4? Download a newer demo version of 6.5. If you want to use it on a Win98 machine, you should disable your primary (Win98) harddrive and install to a different drive with a 250mb DOS partition. After you install you can boot to the Netware drive using a DOS floppy to bypass your primary drive.

that's it? yes, im trying to experiment setting up a novell. im taking over somebody installation. im a microsoft user & im new to novell. im just using the company's licensed software.
--------
....After you install you can boot to the Netware drive using a DOS floppy to bypass your primary drive.
---then? what are the commands after booting from floppy?

thanks bigguysmall

I'll assume you have a primary drive C and a secondary drive D. For purposes of a Novell install, you unplug the power from drive C. Drive D will now appear on reboot as C, if not use fdisk from a Dos 6.2 boot floppy and create at least a 250mb partitian. Install Novell to that drive. Then plug the real primary drive back in. The novell drive should appear as D again under win98. You don't need to access it under win98 so don't worry if you cant. Reboot using the Dos 6.2 floppy and the DOS should be unable to read you win98 drive and report the novell drive as C. Change to a dir c:\nwserver then type server or type nwserver, and novell should start.

thank you BigGuySmall. that was very simple but it was of great help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back