Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing Notepad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBtheFox

Technical User
Jun 22, 2003
US
A while ago my system went haywire and I somehow managed to loose my entire Notepad file. I had a professional come and debug my computer and he said the file had somehow been wiped from the system.

I use Notepad a lot, so it's loss is not a good thing for me. I got another copy of it, however my system does not recognize it's existance. Are there any steps I can take to make my system recognize the program, or is it hopeless?

Notepad is nomally installed with Windows. Try and put the Windows ME CD in the drive, and when it opens choose to Browse This CD. From there choose SETUP.

That should reinstall Windows and its Notepad, but not affect any of the other files or programs.

I don't have the ME instilation disk, that I can find. Any ohter ways around this?

Or you can find another "notepad". Freeware all over the place and some of it is pretty good offering spell check etc.

Skip

Thanks, oldcomputrguy, I'll have to see if I can get that to work.

First of all - does your new notepad program actually work? It should be in your Windows directory -"notepad.exe". Try and open it by double clicking on it. If it works (and it should) the next step is to put it back into your Accessories. Close the program - but leave the Windows directory open.Highlight Start>Programs>Accessories and right click the mouse on Accessories. From the drop down menu select Open. This will show you everything that you normally see from the Start menu drop down's - but in it's own window. Now go back to your Windows Directory window and highlight the notepad.exe file - press control + C (to copy it) Go back to the Accessories window and press control + V (to paste it) you should now see it in the Accessories window. Close all the windows and check that it's there through Start>Programs>Accessories - and that it works! It should if it did before.
By the way - do you ever use Wordpad? - it's also in the Accessories, and just as easy as Notepad really, although with a few more options.

Kim.

'Everybody is ignorant - only on different subjects.'
Will Rogers.

No, the program won't open when I double click it. I get an arror essage saying Notepad.EXE is not recognized, it may be misslabeled, and I need to use the 'run' program to find it. Which does not. :p
I'd be happy to use wordpad, but when I'm looking at straight-code off the 'net, I can't get wordpad to open the page off a right click. Hence why I am scrambeling to get notepad back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back