Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

installing new router

Status
Not open for further replies.

subric

Technical User
Nov 10, 2004
CA
Currently, we have our novell acting as a router. It has two NICs, one is connected to the WAN, the other connected to the LAN.

We want to install a router and remove the NIC card connected to the WAN.

I still want the novell to act as the DHCP server. When I change the information like the default gateway info in the DNS/DHCP console , do I need to reboot for them to take effect? Because I tried to change it, but the workstations were still getting the old default gateway info.

Also, I could not get our webaccess to work behind the router. Do I need to change configuration of the webaccess? or do I just need to forward the ports?
For example, in the configuration, it has our WAN address with port 7205 configured. Do I need to change this?

If i do forward the ports, would it be the same for public and private port? 1:1 map? Are the ports 1677, 7205 and 80? is that correct?

Thanks

You should stop/start your DHCP server for the new settings to take place. On workstations, if they just received their DHCP address (and depending on their lease time) you may have to release/reset each of those. Printers too.

As far as ports go, it kinda depends on everything your running. Here's a great TID of the general ports used and by what service. This can be very helpful: Novell Ports

Good Luck.

I think I know what the problem is.

I have two NIC cards, one has 172.16.12.2 which is on the LAN
And another nic card with the static WAN IP

I think the groupwise is running on the nic with the WAN IP
not on the 172.16.12.2.
Because when I enter 172.16.12.2 in my browser, nothing comes up

So even if I try to port forward, it won't work.

So basically, how do I change it from running on the nic with the WAN IP to the nic card 172.16.12.2?

I see in the NWADMIN there's a tab called Network Address with my WAN IP with pot 7205.

Is this where I change it?
Also, when I go into the Webaccess console screen, it says
IP settings:
Server IP address:
Server port: 7205

The Server IP address is not displaying? I saw a screen shot, and this is supposed to be populated. Webaccess does work when I enter the WAN ip in my browser.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back