Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

installing new power source

Status
Not open for further replies.

petekroll1

Technical User
Jan 16, 2003
US
Tonight i'm installing a new 480W power source in my AntecATX computer case to replace my 300W source
that is acting up. Never installed one before...just curious if there is anything that i need to take
into consideration before doing this besides make sure EVERYTHING IS DISCONNECTED? Can i guy have too
much power for his components and cook it??

thx

AthlonXP 1.33
512 DDR
WindowsXP
ABit KG7 Mobo

Just make sure you have a wriststrap, and dont try to rush that procedure, that thing is heavy and still has charge in it.

don't wear a wrist strap when working on monitors or powersupply.

Now that the wrist strap issue is crystal clear.
You can never have too much power specially if you intend to add additional peripherals. Recognize that the are 3 different voltage rails going to different components and depending on the transistors supporting those rails you can excess on one and just enough on the other.
Not using wrist straps on monitors and power supplies makes a lot sense since there are very high voltages involved and you do not want to be part of the circuitry. However you must wear one once the unit is in place and you are now connecting the PSU to your electronic components.
Best of luck and avoid any shocking news. Zero Mistakes = Zero Experience
And Boy do I have experience !

You can't get electricuted wearing a wrist strap. They have a 1-meg ohm restistor in series that prevents that.I would wear one when plugging and unplugging the connectors to the mobo and peripherals. The risk of static electricity damage is higher than getting shocked. I wouldn't advise working on a monitor with or without a wrist strap, unless you know what you are doing. Jim

Please come back and let us know if your
problem is fixed and what fixed it!! [thumbsup2]

If you turn your power supply off at the mains, and at the power suplly (if you have this option) but leave the power cable plugged in, there is no need to wear a strap when fiddling with pcb's, as long as you frequently touch the PSU.. supposedly. just in-case you don't have one!

I have always stuck to this rule, guess it's about time to buy a strap! Please let us know what you think of posts, feedback is always appreciated as this will help to further our knowledge as well. [bigears]

I once worked for a company where you could get fired for now wearing a wrist strap and they sent us to ESD (Electrostatic Discharge) school anually to make sure we new how to wear one properly. Also, we had wrist strap testers to make sure they were good. They can be checked with an ohmmeter, also. They should read 1 Meg ohm from the strap to the alligator clip.
I got so use to wearing them that they are like wearing a seatbelt....I always do when working inside the PC case. It's best to have the case grounded to earth ground and attach the alligator clip to the metal case. Jim

Paranoia is probably a good thing but your discussions of the need for ESD is overblown.
If you were replacing "a" versions of CMOS chips you would have a valid point. But in replacing a power supply it is sufficient to have power unplugged and ground yourself on the computer chassis before you are to contact any part that might be circuitry. You are likely to do more damage to the computer by wiggling connectors than by ESD even were you rubbing your cat with a rubber rod at the same time you were pulling stuff.

pete,
even though the PS says 480, that is maximum it is capable of supplying provided all the supplies are providing their maximums. In reality, each supply provides what is needed and the total is generally much less than maximum. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Swopping the power supply, start to finish 4-5minutes!, tidying the wiring up with cables ties afterwards 7-8 minutes, roll your sleaves up, earth yourself, pull out the power connector, R&R PSU, which can be done without touching any PCB if you really didn't want to, tidy wires, plug in, awayZ you goZ. Martin Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Sorry for all the bad spelling in my post. I meant fired for "not" wearing, and knew for "new".
Call it "paranoia" if you want, but that's the way I do business. I guess I'm set in my ways, but as far as I know I've never caused any ESD damage (Since The early 80's, anyway). I have an earth grounded work bench and an anti ESD mat. That's a necessity if you bread board anything, also. (my opinion and my policy).
Back in the 70's we didn't know what ESD was. We'd "shot-gun" equipment and handle arm loads of circuit boards at a time. Some times we got away with it, sometimes not. We didn't know that ESD blew the circuit board in the first place, we'd just try another one. Jim

Well.... I'm having the same problem, but I have a 115 watts power supply for a e-machine that I need to replace. What's a good alternative that won't fry my system?

You are going to find that e-machines have a propriotory design power supply and that your only hope is to replace it with another e-machine part.

You could put the parts into another case/PS combo but you might have problems getting the case parts to fit together.

ATX have a large cutout for the I/O ports and M/Bs generally come with an adapter plate the fits it and the cutout. Since you won't have a M/B plate designed for ATX you'll probably have to make one to fit. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back