Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing new modem....driving me nuts!!! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaldon

Technical User
Mar 21, 2002
GB
I am trying to install a new modem on a friends win 98 machine, the modem is a Conexant 56k PCI. The machine sees the device and the plug and play install seems to go well, however, when I look in device manager I get the dreaded yellow mark.
In Modem Enumerator Properties under device status I get the following:
"The NTKERN.VXD, CONFIGMG.VXD device loaders for this device could not load the device driver. (Code 2)"
If I try to update the driver I just go through the same loop over again.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Hi,
Try deleting the driver then rebooting and let windows re-install it.

Please make sure that you are loading the correct driver.

I would also suggest searching the threads for similar problems. Crustyoldbloke has posted some very good info on this type of problem.

Regards.

Save you having to search for it, here's the latest refined version that works for me every time, possibly for others, but I'll never know because they don't reply.

Firstly, delete/remove your modem driver from the CONTROL PANEL-MODEM setting.

Then backup your registry.

Now go to START, RUN, and type REGEDIT.

Double click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, below it you will see a subsection called Enum, double click it to expand it. Do the same to the one marked PCI, you should now see some keys marked VEN_*******, expand each one and below it you will see another key marked BUS_******.

Expand that key and each one will show you a name and data in the right-hand pane. One or more of those is your modem and the name will be clear.

Now delete the keys marked BUS_******* with your modem name. Reboot, and Win98 will install your modem.

You're using the same modem as I am on the same OS, in which case you should maysee three references to it.
Treat your children well. They get to choose your nursing home!
Phil
Please tell me if the answer I gave was helpful or a bus ride out. Without your feedback I won't know.

I think it's normal, the machine PnP recognizes the card.
Now you need to install the drivers from the manufacturer.
Normally a modem driver and a wave/voice driver.

Download the driverfiles for example from :

If it's not working, disconnect it and remove it out of W98
Then as shown above.

Installing a modem is very hard!
Especilly when it's an internal one.

The solution:

Remove all of the other pci devices from the pc. (not your video card if you have a pci)
Remove your modem from your device manager and restart your pc.
Now shut down your pc and install only the modem. Reboot and
install the correct drivers.
Reboot and test the modem.

If it works you can add the other pci devices one at a time.

The problem with internal modems is that they are very IRQ demanding. They don't like to share their IRQ with other devices. So by installing just the modem first you give a full IRQ channel to the modem.

Hope this helps you.

Greetings,

Kocky

I usually remove only the sound card or temporarily
disable the USB in the bios to yield for the modem.

Thanks Guys, I tried all of your suggestions but no luck! In the end I used an old modem that I had lying around and it fell in no problem! The new modem is not faulty as I am able to load it into another machine using PnP quite easily.
Anyway, thanks for all the input, this group is a godsend!!!

Ian

Chaldon

Thanks for replying, sorry to hear that my method did not work.

I am trying to evaluate this registry hack, to find how reliable it is.

Could you tell me, please, what happened throughout the process. i.e. were you able to find the registry entries as described?, how did you feel about deleting them? what happened when you rebooted? what problem did you have when you rebooted ? did windows find and install the drivers correctly and automatically?

I do not mind you writing to me privately, it is important for me to get this information. My e-mail address is:

phil.sandell@blueyonderX.co.uk

Please remove the X, this is put there to stop automatic e-mail harvesters from finding and selling my details to others.

Thanks very much in advance. File not found. Should I fake it? (Y/N)
Phil
Please tell me if the answer I gave was helpful or a mere bus ride out. Without your feedback I won't know.

Chaldon,

My sympathies to you on the Conexant modem. I spent over a week (at least several hours an evening) getting one installed. I think I downloaded 2-3 different driver sets until I found one that worked! Have a second Conexant chip modem identical to the first one and was NEVER able to get it installed in a second identical hardware environment. I keep my fingers crossed on the one that is installed and working.. If it dies, I intend to buy a Robotics, drop it in and be done with it. Life is to short!

John

I had this kinda problem after installing 98SE and the USB function vanished and would not reinstall.
It was a 97 computer with no native USB ports, and I had fitted a 4 port card which worked fine until the upgrade to SE from W98.
I found this clue on the MS knowlege base by searching for this: Ntkern.vxd Device Loader for This Device Could Not Load the Device Driver.
It seems that SE regularly does this trick, and the cure for me was to alter the lines in the Autoexec file from
SET windir=C:\WINDOWS
SET winbootdir=C:\WINDOWS
to
SET windir=C:\WINDOWS.000
SET winbootdir=C:\WINDOWS.000
MS recommended just deleting these two entries, but I didn't do that because of the funny directory name.
000 is the actual windows directory. I let SE install itself by just hitting Enter everytime it stopped, and it set itself up as Windows.000 for some strange reason.
Anway, changing the path solved the problem on the next reboot, Windows found the card and installed it good-oh. :)

General piece of advice if you are thinking of installing a conexant HCF modem

DONT!!! [evil] Help us to help you, please post back and tell us if this helped.

All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back