Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

installing new hardrive in hp pavillion

Status
Not open for further replies.

funk46

Technical User
Sep 4, 2003
US
I need to put in an new hard drive and I'm getting different answers from different people. HP support sucks. I have an hp pavillion 533mhz computer(8660c)made around 1999. Hard drive went south. It was 20 gig. I would like to install at least an 80 gig maybe 120. Do I need a controller card for my bios to see that big of drive? I would like to just upgrade the bios but I don't know which upgrade to get and I've never done that so I don't want to screw it up. I think my bios is phoenix. Thanks.

try a google search on your model. Should give you a hit on the HP site with a hardware description and the upgrade possibilites.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Thanks. I will check that out.

Previous links have been removed. The pits.
Largest supplied in the product line was 36, but I would suspect that it will support larger.
Also ran across a board cross reference. You may find support info through the board manufacturer if you hit the same site.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

If you update your bios, be very careful. If your system stops (freezes) during upgrade, this is very bad. I would go to the extreme of putting it on UPS before upgrading. If you mess it up, you looking at buying a new MotherBoard.
[pipe]

Thanks for the info. I finally went and got a seagate hard drive. I installed it in no time flat. It is 120 gig! When I installed a Western Digital it only recognized 2 gig and their tech support said I had to ge a certain controller card or update my bios to get it to work . The seagate worked right away with no controller card or bios update! I put in a new modem and a new (cheap) video card too and my computer is faster and working better than ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back