Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

INstalling new BCM3.7 drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

HUCHIMAMA

Programmer
Jan 25, 2004
US
Been working on BCM400 that had a 3.6 drive. The customer haa been having issues with the drive for a while, you can hear the heads smacking around inside the drive. So got a new 3.7 drive swapped it. We got the customers system back up and running to a certain point and ran into an issue. All programming stayed in tack on the telephony side. All the LED's are green and have a solid Nortel LED. But we cannot get into Unified Manager. We can ping both LAN IP's but cannot connect through Unified manager. We have rebooted the system twice but still no LAN access. We even changed the IP's through Command line but nothing. It almost seems like something is still not initialized on the system correctly.

We put the old Drive back in also and now have the same problem no LAN access.

Support Our Troops

This is what we do in the UK below.

How do I install a replacement hard drive?
ALL

Select BCM 3.x or BCM 4.0
BCM 3.x Hard Drive
1. Replace the old hard drive with the new hard drive.
2. Visually inspect the inside of the BCM to confirm all connections are OK. It may be a good idea to use a PC style vacuum
cleaner to remove excessive amounts of dust from the unit.

3. Replace the cover

4. Connect your PC to Serial port using a Null Modem Serial cable (available from Maplin item VD76)

5. Apply power to the BCM & allow 5 minutes for the BCM to become operational. During this time it will perform a check disk
and a reboot.

6. Open Hyper terminal session on your PC
• IN CONNECTION DESCRIPTION NAME IT BCM AND PICK AN ICON
• IN PHONE NUMBER CHECK CONNECT USING IS DIRECT TO COM 1
• IN COM 1 PROPERTIES CHECK PORT SETTINGS
• BITS PER SECOND 9600
• DATA BITS 8
• PARITY NONE
• STOP BITS 1
• FLOW CONTROL HARDWARE
7. If the BCM is ready you will then be prompted to log in.
• user name: ee_admin
• domain: (leave blank just press return)
• password: PxxChxxx! or exxxe depending on HDD
8. You will then be presented with a menu, press1 to select "Platform Initialisation Menu".

9. From the "Platform Initialisation Menu" choose option 1 - "Initialise Menu"

10. From the Initialise Menu" choose option 1 - "Initialise Universal Profile" and wait for a short time for the next menu to appear

11. From the "MSC Initialisation Menu" choose option 3 – depending on HDD version this maybe "E1 MSC LOAD" for 3.01 and 3.5 and "UK MSC E1" for 3.6. Again depending on the HDD version the leds on BCM will flash in a particular way. For 3.01 and 3.5 all Leds will flash green and for 3.6 you will see the Power flash red then the Temperature followed by the Fan and other leds will be green or out.

12. During this stage the BCM will upload the necessary files and core and will do various reboots, when you have all leds showing steady green it has completed. The whole process should be completed within 30-40 minutes.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian Programmer in the UK

If it's working, then leave it alone!.

sounds like the apache problem....

i replaced a 3.7 drive on a bcm 200 and had the same issue, everything came back up, programming was fine, but couldnt access the web interface/UM.

The fixes for it are:

1) go in thorugh the serial port, set the date back to 1/1/2008, and re-run the initialization

2) if that doesnt work, apply the apachefix tool(available on nortels site)

1 & 2 didnt work for me.... what i did was:

- wipe the hard drive clean/format it
- imaged the hard drive with the BCM 3.7 image off nortels site
- initialized the drive
- applied the apachefix

everything worked fine after that

Great input guys. I will be given them all a try. Thank You Thank you. I will post my findings for future.

Support Our Troops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back