Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing Magstripe Reader in Aloha

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsl757

Technical User
Sep 16, 2010
US
We just recived a POSX unit for testing. And we are using aloha. I have installed all peripherals and they seem to be working. My issue is the MSR, right now it is checked on Keyboard Wedge and it is working, I also requested that they send the OPOS driver for the MSR. Now my question is, is the OPOS setup safer than just keyboard wedge or is it the same?
Also how do I install the opos driver? Should I install it on the terminal or the server, it came in as a zipped file.

Thank you in advance.

OPOS is safer in that you cannot easily capture swipes, such as in notepad. You install it only on the terminal(s) the MSR is attached to. You do not need to install it on the server.

Thank you for the reply.

If I install it in terminal, what do I choose in the Terminal>>Reader set up screen in Aloha Manager? Will the OPOS driver/choice automatically show up?

no it won't. You have to manually type in the name.

when you install OPOS on the terminal, OPOS creates a registry entry/key generally found @ HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\OLEForRetail\ServiceOPOS\MSR

under the MSR is a subkey with the name that the installer or the end user gives to the device. (depends on the OPOS program) This is the name that you will need to put in Aloha Manager.

In Aloha Manager, select OPOS as the type the OPOS name field will be highlighted below that. Type it in EXACTLY like you see it in the registry. If it is all upppercase, make sure to do the same in AM.

can you tell me the name of the MSR type, i.e. who makes it? Is it POSX? I can download the installer, install it, and give you the exact name you need to use if you run into trouble.

It is PXI-EVO-MR1-U, I will install the OPOS driver tomorrow am. I will try your very detailed instructions and see if I don't mess it up too much. It works on keyboard wedge so that is the back up.

Thank you very much.

I just installed it..

the key, assuming I got the right drivers will be this.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\OLEForRetail\ServiceOPOS\MSR\MAGSWIPE_USBKB

if this is what your install shows, then the name you will use will be MAGSWIPE_USBKB

Saga continues, :). I tried running the setup file and get an error." Cannot find license.txt" in a directory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back