Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing HP Printer Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesc99

Technical User
Apr 18, 2007
IE
Hi, relative AIX newbie here.
In this example we have two similar AIX servers - live and DR. Live was built by third party consultants and has printing and printers configured. I need to configure printing and printers on DR.
Via smit on DR installing package bos.svprint.hpnp from CD fails because the supposedly-requisite package ldap.client.rte 4.1.0.0 is not installed and can't be installed because it's not on the CD (or, as it happens, on the 'expansion pack CDs).

But ldap.client.rte 4.1.0.0 isn't installed on the live server (even though printing works fine).

So, question is, why does AIX think that an LDAP-related package is required for printing and is it really needed or is smit fibbing?

Thanks in advance.

Hi there,

just to be sure:

Is the bos.svprint.hpnp installed on the "live" system ?

Regards
Thomas

Thomas,
Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post. Either I have a severe case of user error or something very strange is happening.

In smit, adding a print queue on the DR server was failing to display a list of available print queues (not unreasonably because the printer software was not installed).

I have a smit log from 10/4 showing that bos.svprint.hpnp 5.3.0.0 failed to install because of a missing prerequisite ldap.client.rte 4.1.0.0 (hence my wild goose chase over several days trying to understand the connection between the two filesets).

No software has been successfully installed since 10/4.

I have a smit log from 09:00 this morning (which I ran in order to get the fileset names to reply to your post) showing bos.svprint.hpnp 5.3.0.0 installed with the following prerequisites -
bos.svprint.dir_enabled 5.3.0.0
bos.svprint.fonts 5.3.0.0
bos.svprint.ps 5.3.0.0
bos.svprint.rte 5.3.0.10
bos.svprint.trans 5.3.0.0
bos.terminfo.svprint.data 5.3.0.0
ldap.client.adt 5.2.0.0
ldap.client.rte 5.2.0.0

How or why it worked this morning, I have no idea!

(In answer to your original question, no, bos.svprint.hpnp isn't installed on the live server, although printing is working there. We went looking for that fileset during the initial installation attempt on the DR server).

I'm happy, but I don't know why!
Jes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back