Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing freebsd 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tack24

Programmer
Oct 6, 2002
US
Hi, i'm totally New to Freebsd, I'm Currently a "Linux" user.
An The Installation Is Different, When iPut the first cd in i Go thru an do a recommended installion! But It doesn't ask for My other iso cd's. P.S: i'm Trying to install Freebsd4.7
If that Helps

I am like you a new freebsd user coming from linuw world. So you will not have many difficulties to learn it ;)

about 4.7 you need at first just one cd the first the 2 is an image of the system needed for maintenance the 3 and 4 contain many many packages, that you can install just insert one and issue:
/stands/sysintall choose configure | packages

hope that help !

Really Cool, welcome to the club!!!

I just want to add a few statements and not much techical stuff.

Like yourself, I started with Linux and still use, and will continue to use Linux.

Out of curiosity, I installed FreeBSD. Damn!!! It looked similar to Linux, but I saw many intimidating differences at first.

Killing fear, I began typing away every command starting from ls.

Well if ls works, then so does make. So the init scripts are not called init scripts,(not sure bout that), but /etc/netstart works just like /etc/init.d/network restart.

So there it is. I have Two Servers running FreeBSD 4.4. One as NFS(different looking exports file), Apache combined with a PPPoE client to my dsl provider. Yes its my internet gateway.

Just add FreeBSD to your collection of learning. It will be help you understand the differences of Unix/Linux. I mean, even between Linux distros, they vary, and each one has features or layouts that I prefer over the other. But together, they all kick major a**!!

Anyways that was my freindly statement. If you have any specific questions, so far I only can offer you some input based on what I have successfully have operating on FreeBSD 4.4.

Have Fun...

thanks for the post ;)
What i remarqued is that there is less sites web about configuring freebsd than linux distro !

and the freebsd forum is much less visited than Linux ( exemple (so little threads) is it less used (freebsd), or i am in the wrong forum site !!

thanks for all

FreeBSD is one of your better supported UNIX variants. There is alot of useful info out there for newbies, not so newbie and seasoned pros. I think that you will find FreeBSD to be straight forward, different in some ways from Linux but just as easy to use and well supported. Here's just a few of the sites available supporting FreeBSD.

and of course:
GGortt

Thanks Guy's I'm also useing FreeBSD to Learn the differents Between Unix/Linux An i Will continue to use my Linux as well
also like to add
Freebsd Would be alot easier to install if you didnt have to go thru an Pick out all the packages by hand =\ thats what irretates me. it should be in more effeciant catagories!
an alot easier to pick them all at once in each catagory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back