Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing first Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

wlaflamme

Technical User
Aug 1, 2003
US
Hello,
I have written a program to operate on my system. I recently successfully published through the VB2008 Express software. When I go to install it on my computer it goes through the install wizard and asks me if I want to install which I say yes. It installs quickly without asking where I want to install it. A shortcut is created on the desktop. When I double click the shortcut nothing happens. It seems as if the install only added a shortcut with the proper icon but does not actually load the program. There seems to be an instance of the program in windows since I use the add/remove software to remove it. Any help would be appreciated.

It is possible the form you are loading on startup has an error and cannot load. Look at the application log in event viewer and see if you have any errors.

Andrea

Another thing to check would be to right-click the shortcut, and check the properties for the location of the application. Then check that directory to make sure everything is in there.

When I look at the properties for the shortcut it says it is an application reference and not a shortcut. The problem I think I really am having is that it is not creating the working folder with the program. Should it create a folder and an exe...?

When I look at the properties for the shortcut it says it is an application reference and not a shortcut. I have attached a screen shot of the shortcut. The problem I think I really am having is that it is not creating the working folder with the program.

When you published did you published to web site? If so are are you files chmod to allow reading. Also if published to web site did you allow program to be available off-line?

I use VS2005 so this may not be relevant but I had a similar problem.

I added a setup project to my application (setup1).
You then need to right click Setup1 (In solution explorer) and Add>Project Output and then select Primary Output.

This adds your application to the setup file.

Just then run through what you did last time to create the setup file.

Hope it works.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back