Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing Fedora 5 on Proliant 1850R

Status
Not open for further replies.

semiclassical

Technical User
Sep 11, 2006
US
I swear to the holy cow that i tried to find the nonTechnicalUser but they didn't have the category!

1. given a compaq proliant 1850r with 2 400 mhz cpu server
2. was not given the smartstart cd
3. do not know root password
4. good FC5 iso image and used it on several clean installs
a. machines were not proliant 1850r
5. i want FC5 on the machine, but it is not a "must have"
a. building a cluster of around 14 old machines
b. want to keep the same OS on all machines
6. two questions:
a. do i even want to do this
b. how do i do it

thanks from a sane person in an insane world, semiclassical

Try the Compaq/HP website. You can download the Smartstart CD's, firmware, drivers, etc. for the server. You can also find the manuals on how to reset the BIOS to clear the password.

Not sure about anything else in your post.

Thanks a bunch for the response. It tilted the balance for me. This will be the way I go.

I was up their site earlier and saw something about downloading the smartstart cd, but thought that there has to be a way to "hack" this.

:) If it's an easy hack, it ain't a hack :)[/color red]

It seems as though I always have to do things the the hard way. A friend of mine who has FC5 on a server at work told me sometimes the RAID controllers can be proprietary, and I might not be able to configure the RAID. Hey this is all new to me.

Colorado Pete

Once you have a copy of SmartStart v5.5 (don't use a version above this as it will not be compatible with your server), burn the image to CD and boot off it. The setup should be fairly easy to understand but if you get any issues please post back.

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"
--------------------------------------

Good luck working with the FC5 repositories. You'll want to look into the repositories for FC5, because the 2 main ones (can't think of them) absolutely will not jive with eachother. The file will be right there, but it will tell youj that it can't find it.

Batman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back