Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing Exchange 2000 on Windows 2003 Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsnndn

Technical User
Nov 18, 2002
US
I have the following configuration: Server (A) acts as file/print server and is the primary AD. It is Windows 2000 server. There is a second Windows 2000 server (B) with Exchange 2000. It is the secondary AD. Its main purpose is a Exchange server only.

Server (A) has 50 GB of storage, Server (B) has 150 GB of storage. I am looking at buying a HP Blade server with 290 GB of storage. It would be Windows Server 2003.

Can I install Exchange 2000 on the Server 2003 and copy the existing mail and/or restore the files to the new server? The new server would be combined Exchange Server, file server and print server. There are only 23 people accessing the servers. 4 G of Memory, Dual-Core Xeon processors @ 2.33 GHz.

Any information/thoughts if this would be a good move or not (workable or not)??

Thanks in advance

FYI

You Cannot Install Exchange 2000 on a Computer That Is Running Windows Server 2003

Exchange 2000 is not supported on Microsoft Windows Server 2003. Because of this, Exchange 2000 is blocked from installing on the Windows Server 2003 family. Also, operating system upgrades from Microsoft Windows 2000 Server to Windows Server 2003 flag Exchange 2000 as incompatible.

the solution i use is i run a virtual server with win2k but i chose 1 of my servers with 32 gb of ram

Thanks - it's never as easy as the salesman says! This is great information, gave me a heads up on what to discuss on the purchase of the server.

So - far, it sounds like the server has enough resources to act as both an exchange server and file server. I will find out the cost if upgrading to exchange 2007.

Thanks for your time and feedback

Erm. Technically yes, practically that is "eggs in one basket" and you may end up with network bottlenecks if not more. But in a small shop, go for it.

Get lots of spindles though...

There is no upgrade to Exchange BTW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back