Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing Ethernet card 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

FurqanAhmed

Programmer
Oct 1, 2001
PK
I want to install ethernet card on my RedHat 7.2 machine. I've plugged the card in the PCI slot. Now I've tried to add the card from the Network Configuration in the Control Panel but it doesn't work. The message I get is ++The Ethernet card could not be initialized. Please varify your settings and try again++

I've tried assigning it IRQ 7,9,10 but no progress. Could someone please tell me how to install the ethernet card. I'm using a Dual 10/100Mbps from BayLan and the Driver is from RealTek.

Take care YEH GHAZI YEH TERAY PUR-ASRAR BANDAY

When you boot does redhat find the card? You may need to load a module on boot to get it working.

Redhat doesn't detect the ethernet card at boot time. What module should i load and how? YEH GHAZI YEH TERAY PUR-ASRAR BANDAY

I think the driver is the rtl8159. I do know that RelTek uses rtl driver. I do not see the rtl module in RH8 either. You might have to build it in.

The best thing you can do is ditch RedHat and go with Debian.

To install an NIC you need to have the appropriate driver available to the kernel. Most Linux users will compile their own kernel and manually ensure that the proper drivers are available. Once the kernel has been compiled additional drivers may be compiled using the existing source tree.

To my knowledge a good majority of RealTek devices are handled by the ne2k-pci driver which is available in most stock kernels. The driver may be available on your NICs accompanying CD. You can use the driver by copying it to /lib/modules/<kernel rev#>/<pick a logical directory>. Run depmod -a to update your available modules resources. Then modprobe <drivername>. Once again your setup implies to me that you will be using ne2k-pci as the driver name. If you are using the driver available on a manufacturer's disk/CD then use the appropriate name.

After you're sure that your driver is installed then it's time for fun configuring your net connection. If you're lucky you'll be using dhclient-2.2.x and can simply run dhclient-2.2.x to retrieve all of your necessary information. If you're using ppp/dial-up then you're in for even more fun.

Compact documentation at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back