Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing epo 3.5 remote console on XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aeaden

Technical User
Jan 20, 2004
US
Has anyone had any issues installing the remote console on XP machines? I am getting an error that server service is not running. I don't see why this would be even looked for on a workstation.

Server installed with no issues.

Can someone please help me???

Thanks!

Hey Aeaden

I have it running on multiple XP machines (3.0.2a though) and I get that error if it points to the default server of Localhost. I change the name to the actual server running ePO server, and it works fine.

Hi,

I am getting this error as soon as I try to install. I can't point to anything.

Thanks for the help.

Hi Aeaden.

When I run the ePO console here, I select console only. Are you trying to install the server as well or does the problem occur from the minute you double click setup?

Feng

HI Feng,

As soon as I click setup. I tried running it from home last night and the setup did continue. I also stopped the server service and I got the same error. The thing that doesn't make sense is when I start the server service at work, I still get the same error. McAfee can't tell me what they are looking for either which is quite frustrating.

Thanks for the help!
Aeaden

Just so everyone knows I have found out what the issue is.

As part of the 3.5 console installation, the program tries to set the server service to automatic. Since our network people disable this using GPOs the install program could not do this. Instead of telling me that was happenning, it just said that the server service was not running.

As soon as I took the machine out of the domain, bypassing the GPO, I was able to start the server service and install the console.

McAfee has acknowledged this issue and is supposed to write something up regarding it. They also told me that the server service is not needed for the console. It is only required for MSDE installation, which consoles do not need anyway, hehe.

This issue has been fixed for ePo 3.6 already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back