Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing drivers on Red Hat 8.0 Adaptec SCSI Host Adapter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldenradium2001

Technical User
Mar 22, 2002
US
Hi there, I'm trying to install the following driver onto my Red Hat 8.0 system so that it can support my Adaptec SCSI Host Adapter 29160N.I have a Seagate Python external SCSI tape device.

I'm a newbie so I don't know how to install drivers on a Red hat 8.0 Linux system. I was able to install a driver for Red Hat 7.1 but not in Red Hat 8.0

Here is the driver:

aic7xxx-6.2.10-rh80.i686.rpm

I do the following:

# modprobe st
# rpm -i aic7xxx-6.2.10-rh80.i686.rpm

After that, I try to do the following:

# mt -f /dev/st0 erase

Unfortunately, I get the message:

/dev/st0: No such device

HELP!

I don't know how to address your problem directly (this kind of stuff is best worked on via hands-on trial-and-error ;). Maybe it's a type, but to quote your post:

I do the following:

# modprobe st
# rpm -i aic7xxx-6.2.10-rh80.i686.rpm

The "rpm -i" part is installing the drivers contained within the "aic.....rpm" package file. So the "modprobe" part would seem to be trying to install modules that haven't been installed yet (by the "rpm" part).

I honestly have never messed with a system that had a SCSI adapter, so I can't offer any real experience. But if you get a handle on installing the drivers and modprobe'ing (or using any configuration tools your distro may provide), you may be able to find your own answers.

Best of luck,
JR

So maybe I should try installing before doing a modprobe...

I'll try it...

Sorry I can't offer a decent solution. I did some searching via Google and on the Redhat site. It seems there was a fairly recent revision to the aic7xxx driver just prior to the release of Redhat 7.3, Mandrake 8.0, etc. Posts seemed to indicate there was a revised firmware upgrade available, but that there were still issues with that.

If it's any help, the person who maintains that module for Redhat has a page at It may lead to some inspiration to fix your problem. As for myself, I'm tapped out :) --
JR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back