Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing DBI and DBD::mysql Perl Modules

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbri

Programmer
Jun 27, 2002
US
Hello Everyone
I hope this is in the correct forum. I have a Itanium machine running HP-UX 11.23 that I am trying to load the DBI and the DBD::mysql modules on I keep getting what seems to be syntax error's when I run the "make" command trying to install the DBI module. Here is the error I get

" cc -c -Ae -D_HPUX_SOURCE -Wl,+vnocompatwarnings -I/usr/local/include -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -O -DVERSION=\"1.609\" -DXS_VERSION=\"1.609\" -fPIC "-I/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.10.1/IA64.ARCHREV_0/CORE" -DDBI_NO_THREADS Perl.c
<command-line>: error: missing '(' after predicate
*** Error exit code 1 "

Does anyone know what this error is trying to tell me. I don't see any parenthesis in the error I am not sure if there are suppose to be or not or if the error is even about the command listed. The DBD::mysql module will not install until the DBI module is installed.Thanks for any help.

I have successfully installed the NET::mysql so I am pretty sure the gcc compiler is working correctly.

Randy

Are you certain it is running the gcc compiler and not HP's own cc there? You may want to try setting CC=gcc before running the make.

Annihilannic.

Yes, I confirmed that I am running the "gcc" compliler. Before I started the DBI/DBD install I changed the link under "/usr/bin/cc -> /usr/ccs/bin/cc" to
"/usr/bin/cc -> /opt/hp-gcc-4.4.0/bin/gcc"

I did it that way because I noticed that the Makefile.PL creates the Makefile calling "cc" not "gcc"

Thanks Randy

Actually, I retract my previous advice. :)

I just downloaded DBI-1.609, unpacked and built it on an 11.23 system using the built-in cc (gcc is not even installed). So try undoing your symlinks perhaps?

I haven't tried DBD-mysql (yet).

Annihilannic.

Hello Well I tried the "cc" compiler I get a whole new set of error's. I am not sure if my problem is the Itanium platform or the "cc_bundle" compiler" Here are the error's I get when I use the "cc" compiler.

cc -c -Ae -D_HPUX_SOURCE -Wl,+vnocompatwarnings -I/usr/local/include -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -O -DVERSION=\"1.609\" -DXS_VERSION=\"1.609\" +Z "-I/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.10.1/IA64.ARCHREV_0/CORE" -DDBI_NO_THREADS Perl.c
(Bundled) cc: warning 922: "-Ae" is unsupported in the bundled compiler, ignored.
(Bundled) cc: warning 922: "-O" is unsupported in the bundled compiler, ignored.
Error 172: "/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.10.1/IA64.ARCHREV_0/CORE/perlio.h", line 222 # Undeclared
variable '__printf__'.
__attribute__format__(__printf__, 1, 2);
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Error 172: "/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.10.1/IA64.ARCHREV_0/CORE/perlio.h", line 282 # Undeclared
variable '__printf__'.
__attribute__format__(__printf__, 2, 3);
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Error 172: "/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.10.1/IA64.ARCHREV_0/CORE/perlio.h", line 286 # Undeclared
variable '__printf__'.
__attribute__format__(__printf__, 3, 4);
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Error 172: "/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.10.1/IA64.ARCHREV_0/CORE/perlio.h", line 377 # Undeclared
variable '__printf__'.
__attribute__format__(__printf__, 1, 2);
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Error 172: "/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.10.1/IA64.ARCHREV_0/CORE/proto.h", line 313 # Undeclared
variable '__printf__'.
__attribute__format__null_ok__(__printf__,pTHX_1,pTHX_2);
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Error 172: "/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.10.1/IA64.ARCHREV_0/CORE/proto.h", line 490 # Undeclared
variable '__printf__'.
__attribute__format__(__printf__,pTHX_1,pTHX_2)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Error 172: "/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.10.1/IA64.ARCHREV_0/CORE/proto.h", line 529 # Undeclared
variable '__printf__'.
__attribute__format__null_ok__(__printf__,pTHX_1,pTHX_2);
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Error 172: "/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.10.1/IA64.ARCHREV_0/CORE/proto.h", line 798 # Undeclared
variable '__printf__'.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Error 172: "/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.10.1/IA64.ARCHREV_0/CORE/proto.h", line 1812 # Undeclared
variable '__printf__'.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Error 172: "/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.10.1/IA64.ARCHREV_0/CORE/proto.h", line 2233 # Undeclared
variable '__printf__'.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Error 172: "/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.10.1/IA64.ARCHREV_0/CORE/proto.h", line 3108 # Undeclared
variable '__printf__'.
__attribute__format__(__printf__,pTHX_2,pTHX_3)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Error 172: "/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.10.1/IA64.ARCHREV_0/CORE/proto.h", line 3309 # Undeclared
variable '__printf__'.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Error 699: "/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.10.1/IA64.ARCHREV_0/CORE/proto.h", line 3309 # Error limit
reached; halting compilation.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
*** Error exit code 2

Stop.

Thanks Randy

Hmm... the system I tried on is using:

Code:
$ cc --version
cc: HP aC++/ANSI C B3910B A.06.02 [May 11 2005]

Which I believe is the optional ANSI compiler. I also tried on another IA64 11.23 system using:

Code:
$ cc --version
(Bundled) cc: HP aC++/ANSI C B3910B A.05.50 [May 15 2003]

That also seemed to work. Both systems are using ActivePerl perl 5.8.3, perhaps the significant difference here?

Annihilannic.

Hello

I checked and I am running the same cc bundled compiler as you are I am running a different version of Perl maybe that is causing my issue. My perl version is v5.10.1 (*) built for IA64.ARCHREV_0 .

Thanks Randy

Are there any other installations of Perl on the system (which may not necessarily be in your PATH)? Does swlist Perl5-32 return anything? That package is usually installed in /opt/perl_32.

Annihilannic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back