Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing D-Link Wireless PCI Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 16, 2002
US
I was trying to install a D-Link Wireless PCI adapter on my desktop so I could create a wireless network in our house and share our cable internet. I have a router of the same brand and that seemed to be working ok. But I am having problems with the wireless card for my desktop.

I followed all the instructions: Intsalled the drivers first, shut down, plug the network card on the PCI, then have windows add the new hardware.

But for some reason, the utility software that came with the installation of the card says that "No Card Found". I dont know if this is just a faulty card I happen to purchase or if the card is not entirely compatible. I was surfing around and I found some comments that this card is not compatible with a soundlaster Live Sound Card. I have a Soundblaster sound card, but mine is AWE 64.

I checked the Settings under the Control Panel, and true enough it had a message that some of the drivers for this card can not be loaded. I dont know why this is happening.

Anyway, this is my first time to do this, so any thoughts will greatly be appreciated.

Go back into device mangler, select the card, right click, select Properties. Go to the driver tab, and select "Update Driver". Browse to the disk that came with the card. It should install from there.
It's possible you need to dig into the subfolders on the disk. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

You have a wireless router? Let everything that have breath praise the Lord.

I tried to to update the driver, but for some reason I still get the same error message, anyway, i returned the D-Link Network card and just the LinkSys Wireless Network Card instead. It installed without any problems, and I was able to to connect the network. Signal was at a 100%.

But here's the problem, when tried to launch the internet explorer, even though I was able to connect, I still cant go the internet. The software utility program that came with the network card was able to get the IP address and all that, but how come I still get on the internet? Is there something wrong with my settings?

The main computer (wired on connected to the router) is using XP, and the wireless computer is using 98.

Please help, thanks.

You have a wireless hub? Let everything that have breath praise the Lord.

Did you configure the parameters for the connection? You will want to set up the SSID's, etc.

Hello,

Thanks for all your replies.
I have a wireless router.. D LINK is the the brand and the wireless network card is LINKSYS..

I found the problem. It turned out the I could not PING the router from the wireless computer. The wireless computer was not able to "see" the other computer and did not automatically detect the GATEWAY.. although it was to get an IP address and Submask automatically... After manually specifying the Gateway in the properites of the Network adapter, and configuring my Intnernet Explorer to set to connect using a LAN, it was finally able to connect to the internet.

This is my first time to do a home LAN, so my question is, network cards do not automatically sense the gateway? I though it would, because it was able to receive the IP address. Does having different brands of yoru network card and router contribute to this?

Thanks so much for all your help. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back