Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

installing clipper 5.3 not working. Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

leeneat

Programmer
Jan 2, 2002
US
I bought Clipper 5.3 more than a year ago. I originally installed it on my system back then but I only played around with it for a short time. Not long enough to get familiar with it.

I recently had my hard drive go bad and had to replace it. When I tried to reinstall clipper it said that it was successful but it appeared to only copy the files and modify the autoexec and the config. It doesn't appear as a program group.

Although I have many years experience programming, I do not know enough about the PC platform to figure this out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Oh my friend.
Clipper 5.3 is not Windows program and you can get any program group to your Programs folder.
If you want to use clipper you must to go to old good MS-DOS prompt and use DOS commands.
cdcd clip53\source\sample
dir

and you will see sample programs with .PRG extension.

IF you want to compile any sample open sample with MS-DOS editor EDIT (ex. EDIT DOT.PRG)
In few first lines you will see switches for compiling your sample (ex. CLIPPER DOS /m /n /w /l )

IF you want to link this sample you must use linker from
CLIP53\BIN directory (ex. Blinker fi DOT)
after linker is finished you can see in same directory file DOT.EXE and just type DOT and programm will start. Also try to read .TXT files in C:\CLIP53 directory and go to C:\CLIP53\NG directory and start NG.EXE file to read complete help for CLIPPER.

Regards !
:=ICI

bizmir, I don't see anything on this site abot replying to you but you are reading this so I've found you.

Clipper5 documentation says that it has Windows based work bench, supports GUIs, and creates windows.

The readme files do not solve my problem.

The problem is that the files have been copied to my hard disk but the program group is not established

I tried both installations (DOS and Windows). They are on the CD.

Before the disk crash I had started learning the clipper5 system but I didn't put much time into it. It did however generate windows.

Since the disk crash I have not been able to properly install the programs. I think that I must have received a corrective install from CA but I don't have it now. Unfortunately, I had problems with back up tapes to compound my problems.

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Sorry beacouse I don't understand your problem.
But, I also don't understand if you have first time good installation from that CD why you cannot have again.

I use same clipper 5.3 but my installtion is from flopy and work very well. Also from 5.3 version CACI system work very well. I don't know how look clipper on CDs but if you have folders disk1,disk2,... mybe you can try to make flopy installtion from CD and try to install clipper with them.

Please, sorry again, I just want to help all from this forum also to you to work without problems.

yes bizmir, you would think that you could repeat the installation same as first time. Actually it's been long enough ago that There may have been the same problem before and they might have given me a way around it.

I'm going to bumble around the CA web site to see if I missed a way to get to them on the phone and I guess I'll look at the downloads to see if anythng looks like a correction of the original installation. Thanks for your input. I'll be seeing you in other posts on this site.
Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back