Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing cat5 with only 3 pairs available 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LARiot

Programmer
Feb 7, 2007
Hi. I have a cat5 cable installed throughout the house but of the available 4 pairs one is being used for the phone. Can I successfully install keystone jacks and connect my computer to a network router at another end with three pairs?

My roommate says I only need one pair but I'm not sure.

BTW, the blue and white/blue wires are being used with the other three available for a network.

Thanks

-Nima

pins 4 and 5 will definitely not work so switching them should fix you up. I'm not having any luck picturing in my head how the 110 block fits into the system but I gather it probably doesn't matter as you have a handle on it.

I sure as heck don't wanna send you up into the attic! ;-)

(I live in Florida so I know how rotten it is up in those places)

=======================================
"I am owed. I've never got paid. A dude with a pencil is worse than a cat with a machine gun" Bo Diddley R.I.P.
December 30, 1928 - June 02, 2008

That worked. I have connection for my Xbox now without having to sweat off half my body weight in the attic.

Lee, I'm in central Oklahoma. The low last night was about 90.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back