Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing Case Cooling Fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddeleaumont

Technical User
Feb 27, 2002
US
Dumb Question Folks!

I'm about to install a case cooling fan in my tower. What is the best way to install the fan? Pulling air from the outside into the case or setting it up so that it pulls air from the case and blows it out of the case?

Thanks!
Don

"If you want to make a difference, you have to be different. That's the deal."
-Kevn Kinney

You set it up so it doesn't oppose the other fans you have. Generally as an exhauet fan at the top rear. Using it as an intake at the bottom pulls more dust into the box.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

ddeleaumont
Asuming you are starting with NO case fans, the first (as recommended by AMD for a standard case layout) is:

Top rear below the PSU EXHAUSTING OUT!
The second, front lower DRAWING IN cool air.

As a side note* I've always found it of great cooling benefit to fit a power supply that has the second or main fan drawing the warm air directly off the top of the CPU (Twin fan or Big fan type)

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Martin,

I do not have a place on the bottom front of the case to install a fan. There is space in the back just below the power supply fan.

So in this case, what would you reccomend? Should I have it doing opposite of whatever the Power Supply Fan is doing or should I have it pulling air from outside the fan and into the case?

I would want to say that it's best to be drawing the air OUT of the case but I may be wrong. Is it mainly a preference thing?

Thanks for the feedback,
Don

-Kevn Kinney

Most tower cases are designed to pull air in from the front and exhaust out the back for best performance.

ddeleaumont.

No it is not just a preference thing. As stated by ed and referenced to the AMD setup guide, you do not want to set it up in a manner that interrupts or otherwise impedes air flow. i.e. do not install a fan in the side panel blowing out that is relatively inline with the CPU heat sink fan as it will rob/impede the air required by the CPU cooling fan.

More fans is not always/almost never the solution for cooling the internals of a case. "Adequate" air flow is what you seek. Once the internal air temp is close to that of the ambient (room) air there is little more that an additonal fan can do but to muck up the flow that yo have established. This is assuming you have a good pattern to begin with.

As you have a position in the rear, high, install your new fan as an exhaust fan (blowing out) this should assist in moving air in from the front lower area across your MOBO & CPU + other chips and out the rear.

Hope this helps

rvnguy

"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

I have a bottom fan pulling in (blows air over the hard drives as well). If you do find a way to run a bottom fan, keep the bottom of the case 1 -2 inches off the floor. Top fan (below power supply) pulling air out. Side fan pulling air IN. CPU fan blows down on CPU, so fan matches. Also, AMD recommends a power supply with two fans - one pointing down to pull air off the CPU, and one pointing out as usual. My air-flow is so good, I run hotter with the side panel off.

ddeleaumont
As I said! in my first post.

If only one case fan is fitted the best place is just below the PSU "EXHAUSTING OUT" the warm air.

Whilst I realize this will create negative case pressure (two fans exhausting, PSU as well as case fan) better air flow direction is maintained and this SINGLE FAN setup is proven to be the most effective at keeping temps down.

AS RECOMMENDED BY AMD themselves and i will also back up there recommendation by saying this is also what I have found to work best with a single case fan.

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Paparazzi,

Here's the details of my system:

Intel Genuine Socket 478 Cooling Fan up to 3.4 GHz (TC1-1026)

Seagate / 120GB / 7200 / 2MB / ATA-100 / EIDE / OEM / Hard Drive (THD-1200AA P

Ultra 512MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz Memory CL3 (ULT30215)

Intel D865GBFL Intel Socket 478 ATX Motherboard / AGP 8X/4X/1X / Audio / USB 2.0 / Serial ATA (I69-2021)

Just4PC 747 ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with Front USB and 425Watt Power Supply - Black (B452-1124)

Mad Dog Dominator / 52x24x52x CD-RW / Black / Nero Software / CD Burner (M199-1004)

Intel Celeron D 335 2.80Ghz / 256K Cache / 533 FSB / Socket 478 / Processor (CP2-CID-335 C)

Zonet 4 + 1 Port USB 2.0 PCI Card - Via Chipset (Z165-1062)

===============================

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. AGain, I'm just trying to make sure that I am taking good care of this system and I really am striving to have a QUIETER PC.

Thanks,
Don

-Kevn Kinney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back