Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing Call-Manager on a server

Status
Not open for further replies.

jh041497

Technical User
Oct 30, 2009
US
Ok, I'm starting the 642-446 CBT Nugget series and he's saying that you can only install CallManager on approved Cisco servers, example MCS ****. I have a Cisco account and can download all the necessary IOS and software however I was hoping I could install CallManager on a spare HP G4 server I had. Does anyone know how to get CallManager up and running so I can play with it?

There are a couple of options. CUCM 6 and above can be installed on VMWare ESX. This is suitable for non-production use. If however you are looking to install on dedicated server hardware there is a very narrow line of non-Cisco badged MCS servers that you can use. Cisco basically bought servers from either HP or IBM and then re-badged them as Cisco MCS models. If your HP server matches up perfectly with an approved MCS model than you can install CUCM on it directly. I use an IBM x346 model with 2x 3.4GHz Xeons, 4x U320 HDDs and 4GB RAM and that corresponds to the Cisco MCS 7845-I server and CUCM installs perfectly. Here is a link that shows the Cisco MCS models and the corresponding OEM servers:

If your server does not match perfectly with one of these you may be best just installing VMWare ESXi (It's free) and going through the install that way. The settings that worked well for me are 70GB HDD, 1 or 2x CPU and at least 4GB RAM. It will actualy perform quite decently under those specs with 3-4 IP endpoints.

Much appreciated fieryhail! I'm going to load VMWare on this G4. Now CUCM 6 is it free to? I have a Cisco Account and it looks like I can downloaded it with no issues. Is there a specific file I'm looking for? Sorry for all the questions, appreciate your help.

You'll need an installation disc to install it. The downloads on cco are upgrade files and will not work for a new install.
Unfortunately the software is not free so once you install it you will need a software license file to activate the application services and a device license file to register endpoints.

Ok, it looks as if I got an ISO copy of CUCM 6, now I just have to figure out the license issue.............

By default a new install will run and you will have 50 DLU's to run a few phones. For this small system, no licensing is required, it comes with a demo license.

Ok, getting this install CD was harder than I thought. Any of you guys point me in the right direction?

For more information you can reach me at rmcgurn at rcserveny dot com. I may be able to help you.

Sent you an email, hopefully you get it. If not JAMIN dot HORTON at GMAIL dot COM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back