Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing and Unistalling Software over a network using DC 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakelovatto

Programmer
Aug 18, 2008
GB
I have around 120 computers on my domain and each machine needs microsoft office 2007 uninstalling and microsoft 2003 put in its place (many complaints about 2007).

Is there any way to do this from the domain controller without having to go around to each computer individually.

Also some of the software (I have 4 types of PC each type sharing a common image) needs modifying, java needs admin password taken off and other minor changes to other software (input of product keys etc).

Please any help will be greatly appreciated. I hope you can help.

microsoft 2003
I'm assuming you mean Office 2003.

Deploying via a GPO is straight forward to get the new version installed.

If the 2007 copy was installed manually, you're in for some fun. You could run the uninstall silently, but that could be full of issues if you have machines that aren't all setup the same.

Too bad your people don't like 2007. I've deployed it to more than 100,000 users and it works great.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Could you give me a run through please? I don't think the install is an msi.

Now I'm going to try and run the uninstall silently, again a run through if possible?

Thank you very much for your reply.

There is plenty of documentation on deploying Office with a GPO, including creating config files.

Uninstalling could probably be done by finding the uninstall string in the registry, and calling it as part of a machine startup or login script.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back