Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing additional exchange server

Status
Not open for further replies.

grebnetso

IS-IT--Management
Dec 15, 2005
US
When setting up an additional exchange server are there any other steps I need to take other selecting "another exchange server", and then installing?

I ask this because I'm having problems getting my information store service to start after the installation.
I know a previous attempt was made at installing exchange with this same IP and Hostname at a previous date. Could this be causing some problems at all?

Also what exactly do I need to remove in adsi to get rid of the previous instance of that exchange server without affecting the primary server that's already in operation?

Thanks for any help you folks can provide.

Hi,

I understand you tried installing a second Exchange server on an already existing machine.

If this machine was not removed from the AD or Exchange organization properly (if Exchange had been installed as well before), you should have got an error message during the new Exchange install.

I assume your new Exchange server doesn't contain any data as your stores are not mounted. Stop the Exchange Store service, try removing the databases files including the transaction logs (edb, stm, edbxxxx.log) files from the \MDBDATA folder, and restarting the exchange information store service. This should create new empty databases.

If this doesn't help, feel free to post your replies here. I'm willing to investigate this further for you.

GOod luck, Peter

It's a new machine that I'm trying to install exchange on. A previous technician set it up and then installed exchange. He then went to move the database to a seperate array for extra redundancy. After he did this he was unable to mount the information store or start the service. I then tried to reinstall the machine to include the OS. I don't receive any error messages until I reboot and then it tells me that a service or driver failed,(information store service). Is there something in Active Directory or ADSI that I need to remove in order to attempt an install of this machine as a second Exchange server?

I had a somewhat similar problem when I had to do a restore of our main exchange server. We did a disasterrecovery and attached to the database, but were unable to mount the store or start the services. We later found out with the help from another technician that it was a permissions issue with the local service account. I can't remember exactly what files or registry keys need to be altered however.

I'd appreciate any help you folks can give. Thanks in advance.

Did you try a setup with /disasterrecovery on this reinstalled machine as well?

This should modify the basic setup files but keep all other settings regarding this server in Active Directory.

Is it true to say the only error you have left is the Information Store Service not starting? If so, could you please give me any more details on this error (messages, event log,...)

As such, I can focus on trying to have your stores mounted.

Regards,

Peter

Application Log
Error 0x80004005 starting Microsoft Exchange Information Store. Failed to load Storage Group Data.

System Log
The Microsoft Exchange Information Store service terminated with service specific error 0 (0x0)

Another Application log that was in reference to the service start failure. (almost sure of it)
Error initializing session for Virtual Machine " ". The error number is 0x8004011d. Maek sure Microsoft Exchange Store is running.

I've deleted the database in hope of it being recreated when the Information store restarts. Is it somehow trying to communicate with Active Directory when it starts this process and it's not finding the store that Active Directory is pointing it to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back