Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing a Win2K server as a BDC on a NT4.0 network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wadoki

IS-IT--Management
May 15, 2001
US
I have a server running Win 4.0 as a BDC. I am connected to my PDC through a WAN frame relay. For various reasons I need to change to Win 2k Server and I can't upgrade I need to complete a fresh install. I have never put a 2k machine on a 4.0 environment so...

Will I face any challenges? (with Microsoft.. duh.)
Will it work with the 4.0 PDC ok?
Can anyone tell me what the hell to do?
Any advice please.

Windows 2000 will not run as a BDC.

If you've never installed 2000 before and have not messed around with it in a test enviroment then I would strongly recommend going out and buying a book on Windows 2000 Server. The Sybex MCSE book is quite good. Glenn
BEng A+ MCSE CCA

Windows 2000 Server will not function as a BDC? I can't believe that, maybe it's called something eles. I have 4 other servers all with Win2k Server, but none are the controling Server.

Windows 2000 Server when installed, options are as a Member Server or Domain Controller. You should be able to install the Windows2000 Server as a Member Server and then it can participate in the NT4 domain but you can not get a Windows2000 Server to act as a BDC to the PDC.

Only way to get 2k to participate in any kind of domain controlling function on the NT network is to upgrade one of the NT4 machines to Win2k, the 2k machines will then allow the other NT machines to act as BDCs, however after my last experience of this I wouldnt leave to long in between upgrading the other machines to 2k. The 2k pdc will then emulate the NT4 PDC for the purpose of allowing the other BDCs to pass changes on to the 2K server. It doesnt like before give the old NT4 BDCs a writable copy of the sam so all changes get synched.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back