Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing a sub network and blocking Internet usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

yari130

Technical User
Jan 13, 2004
CA
Hello. First of all, forgive the length of the posting.
I am helping a non profit center that helps underdevelopped children integrate into regular school over time. I find they are paying a lot for the company that does networks and I offered them my help for the simpler tasks as a voluntary gesture so they won't have to pay for small jobs.
I am getting a couple of computers donated to the center and would like to do the following:

They have already 7 computers in a network running win98se and sharing a couple of printers for the kids to print pictures.
In this room, I want to install 2-3 donated computers on that network. I have been looking around the web for instructions and find that easy enough. From there, I would like to connect those computers to the office server because that is where the ISP's connection is.
The wiring and the routers are as follows:

The seven Computers each have a wire going into the server room and connect into a hub for printer and file sharing among themselves. However, this hub is not connected in anyway to the server.

In the server room, there is a server, and a huge hub (about 40 available connections) with all the computers in the office connected here with the server.

What I need now is to have the computers installed (They will probably be Win98se)in the kids computer room, connect them to the printers (unless I can find one printer for donation and still keeping the children's network separate) and have these computers connect to the ISP solely for e-mail usage for the educators. We don't want the educators to use the internet.

How I am picturing it is as follows:
At University, I can go to the library, choose any computer, log in, and get online. Some computers have internet enabled, others only allow e-mail. This is what I want to do.
If a diagram of the current setup is needed, please e-mail me and I shall send it. Sorry for making this post so long.

Thanks, Yari.

Hi,

Maybe i can help, if it is still necessary.

At the office i work, we had the same problem.
So we did the following adjustments to our network;
We took an IP-range witch can be used free at the internet and give it a class B subnetmask, i.e. 168.192.1.1 255.255.0.0

Then we made HW-groups and multiple IP-subnets

i.e. Printers, Servers, Office and
168.192.1.1 - 168.192.254 Servers
168.192.2.1 - 168.192.254 Printers
168.192.3.1 - 168.192.254 Office
and so on.

After you figured this out, can you use proxy or firewall (hardware/software?) and specify which ip-subnet have access to the internet and wich-one have not.

Let me know

Ew@ld[bigears]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back