Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

installing a service

Status
Not open for further replies.

oakpark5

Programmer
Sep 2, 2004
US
How do i install a service on a windows 2000 server machine? Background: I have 4 sevices designed in foxpro(dont laugh) that I have running on an NT machine (dont laugh again). I've tried to get them on a 2003 machine but I keep on getting an error saying windows cant start them because they get times out. If anyone can help me i would greatly appreciate it, thanks in advance.

Software Engineer
Team Lead
damn bill gates, he has everything

this may help. quoted from
Run a program as a service

The Windows Resource Kit provides some utilities such as SC.exe, Instrsrv.exe and Srvany.exe that allow you to create a program running as a service.

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Windows, Network, Internet, VPN, Routing and How to at

sc.exe, is this in the 2003 server tool kit, or is it in the 2000 tool kit. The funny thing is I thought maybe the prgrams are to big and are taking too long to start...but I made an exe that was just a simple wait window that wouldnt even start, I will try sc.exe and let you know the result, thanks in advance.

Software Engineer
Team Lead

Well, no luck, I dont no why it wont start. I made a service in visual studio using C#, and that installed and ran with no problems. Of course I had an installer for that but nonetheless, if i cant get this program to work which is already written, I have two options...1) write a stored procedure....2) rewrite the service in visual studio.net....what do you think?

Software Engineer
Team Lead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back