Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

installing a second hard drive in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronone

Technical User
Jan 16, 2003
US
I am trying to install a second drive in windows xp . Bios picks it up as a slave but for some reason windows xp does not see it.
Does not show up in my computer, windows explorer, or Disk management. i did use maxi
blast the slave is a fat 32 . thanks for any
help

Its always best to use windows own tools to partition/format drive (in the first instance at least).

Can't understand why disk management is seeing nothing though. Can you boot from a win98 boot floppy - with just the slave disk connected ( if you haven't one), then use fdisk to remove the partition maxblast set up. Also run fdisk /mbr to ensure its got a standard windows mbr.

Now reconnect primary drive & boot into XP. See if drive now appears in disk management (it won't be in explorer, because no partition). If it does, partition & format it from there.

OK here is what i have done, i use fdisk to
remove partition , but still does not show up in disk management

Howdy:

Did you format it?? That is a MUST !! Until it is formatted, Windows won't recognize it !!

FDISK is NOT formatting !!

Murray

Ok i now have format the drive , but for some reason its just not showing up in disk management any other things i could try?

SESaskDFC - you DON'T have to format a drive for it to show up in Disk Management (or even partition it) - that's what Disk Management is for.

ronone - you are sure jumpers are set correctly? As you used Maxblast - is this a Maxtor drive? We are talking standard IDE connected to motherboard IDE controller? (what I'm thinking is you might need a driver - is there anything about this in your motherboard manual?)

Yes the jumpers are set right, this is a ibm
60 gb drive. Yes this is a standard ide. So do you think i need to check on a new driver?
thanks for any and all the help

There was a recent post where someone had a similar problem - that was solved with updated drivers from the motherboard's website.

do you think this might be a Bios update driver or something else.? thank you

Not the bios - something like IDE or IDE bus mastering drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back