Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing a second DHCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

dushi1

Technical User
May 22, 2006
AW
Hi everyone, i have 2 servers in my network,1 is a DC and the other server is doing noting so i want to make the second server a DC also,i installed the second server with 2003 advanced server.But i want to make it a dhcp so clients can log on to it when ever the main server goes down.

Whats the question?

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

You need to make it a second Domain controller. Also are both 2003 server, if not then you will need to run sysprep on the one that isn't.

Both servers are 2003 server.My question is how to configure the second server to become a DC.I want to take the main server offline.and make the second server the DC.

You cant just take a DC offline. You have to transfer the roles.

There is a lot to do:

Installing a domain controller

How to view and transfer FSMO roles in Windows Server 2003

How to create or move a Global Catalog in Windows 2000

You'll also need to transfer any network services that are running on the current DC, including DHCP and DNS.

How To Install and Configure DNS Server in Windows Server 2003

How to install DHCP on the new box:

How to move a DHCP database from a computer that is running Windows NT Server 4.0, Windows 2000, or Windows Server 2003 to a computer that is running Windows Server 2003

Demote a domain controller

At least he didn't copy your signature too pat!

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

Thanks for the help guys, i install the new 2003 advanced server and it's working. but if i take the main DC offline, then it does not work any more. any suggestion??

Thanks in advanced

What doesn't work anymore? What errors are you getting? Details, man - details!

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

58sniper, how can i remove a old netbios name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back