Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing a new APS database

Status
Not open for further replies.

ernstmik

Programmer
Nov 5, 2003
US
I am upgrading the hardware for our CE9 implementation. It has given me a chance to review some of how the settings currently in place which led me to this question. Can or should the APS database be sharing a database server that also contains the databases that the published reports are accessing?

That depends on yourr requirements, load, etc.

I think that CE9 used the MSDE SQL Server database, which is robust enough, the biggest problem is that most sysads forget that this needs to be backed up for catastrophic recovery (the file is always in use, and so many conventional file backups will skip over it).

If your company has a standard database, and it's very robust (Oracle, SQL Server, Sybase), then you might prefer to offload the admin of it to the dbas, however as is, the database probably resides on the same box as CE, so it doesn't get much faster than that.

I try to avoid moving it under the dbas umbrella to minimize coefficients for troubleshooting, dbas tend to be liars, na'erdowells, and it's rumored they feast upon their own offspring and offal.

Right, I often operate as a dba ;)

-k

Hi,
As a DBA ( as well as our BOE admin) I take exception to Synapse's assertion..I most certainly do not feast on offal ( its offal, for goodness sake, how can that be a feast??? - its just fast-food)[wink] [wink]

Seriously, what you need is what you should have..We use an Oracle database instance ( the same one as many of our reports' datasources) for th CMS due to its strength and so that it can be handled by our backup/recovery setup..Your needs will vary..

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

We are using an Oracle database for the APS. However as I am auditing our system, I have found that our APS database is residing on the same Oracle server that hosts 75 other Oracle databases used by clients to report from. These are very active databases and my concern is that they are fighting for resources with the APS database.

Again load and performance is key, if the servers can handle it then you're fine.

As previously mentioned, I usually used the MSDE SQL Server database, but I did move it to Oracle in a couple of instances and it ran fine, and more recently I've used MySQL (ships with it now).

-k

Hi,
You have one server hosting 75 Oracle Instances ?

Must be some box...What OS, How much RAM, what storage system?

Perhaps you meant Schemas..

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back