Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing a CDRW drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
IM installing a philips cdrw drive and since ive connected it to a new IDE lead with the existing CDROM. The computer isnt recognising them in windows.Would it be possible that the IDE lead is faulty/ The cdrw is master and cdrom is da slave.Any ideas?

It also recognises both drives in the bios when it boots up

leave the cdr/w on the cable it is now as the master and put your cdrom onto the hard drive cable as slave.
but i will say that on some branded machines like tiny and such they don't like it and it may hang the computer but if it does work it's a lot better when copying from one cd to another(no data collisions).

try it in another manchine, it could be faulty or bad firmware. it showed up on bios but not windows. i had the same problem, i had bad hardware, got a replacement, all is good.

What OS are you running on the PC you are trying to install the CDRW on???
I have seen occurrences where the drives are seen in the BIOS but not by the operatiing system. This was with Windows 2000 pro. This situation happene after uninstalling Easy CD Creator...There was a fix found on the Microsoft KB....

Sorry Gabe, I wouldn't recommend that.

Though transfers might be faster going from CDROM to CDRW, the hard drive would be a whole lot slower. You should avoid placing CDROM drives on the same IDE controller, because the hard drive wants to use DMA and most CDROMs can't. Plus, newer hard drives use ATA/66, ATA/100, or even ATA/133. Unless your CDROM is brand new, it probably only knows ATA/33.

Rod,

Right-Click My Computer, click properties and go to the Performance tab. Does it tell you that some drives are using MS-DOS Compatibility?

If so, check out this thread and visit all the websites posted:

thread602-242425

~cdogg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back