Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing a CD Rom, already have CDRW, need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

mosquito2121

Technical User
Apr 13, 2002
US
I have replaced an old CD Rom and cannot get things to work correctly. I already have a new CD RW. I believe that everything is hooked up correctly. But I'm not quite sure about which should be the master or slave. Help

WELL, ITS NOTHING LIKE THAT. BE IT MASTER OR SLAVE...YOU CAN MAKE UR HDD AS PRIMARY MASTER AND UR CD DRIVE AS SECONDARY SLAVE AND UR NEW CDRW AS SECONDARY MASTER. EVEN IF THINGS R NOT CORRECTLY WORKING THEN U NEED TO CHECK THE JUMPER SETTINGS OF UR CD DRIVE AND CDRW. BY DEFAULT, THE JUMPER SETTINGS R OF MASTER. TO MAKE THEM SLAVE, JUST INSERT THE JUMPER IN SECOND PIN FROM LEFT. I HOPE IT WILL WORK FOR U.

If your computer is a Compaq you must set the jumper to cable select. All Compaqs use cable select on ALL drives

Most companies recommend that you set the CD/RW as Master on Secondary IDE and the second CD as Slave on the same IDE cable. Watch when you first boot to see if they were both detected. If not, then look in CMOS to see if one of the IDE ports is disabled. Ste them all to AUTO if possible and try again.

Allenadale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back