Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

installing 8i on XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

lowbk

Technical User
Nov 26, 2001
SG
i tried installing 8i using the CD but after clicking "installing/destalling oracle products" on the GUI, the whole thing just went dead.. no installation at all..

anyone managed to install 8i on xp?

Is it a Pentium 4 machine ? There's a known bug with the Oracle installer program on P4 and Xeon processors.

If so, the workaround is to copy the installation CD to disk and rename each copy of symcjit.dll to symcjit.old. Then run the install proram from the HD.

If you're using the OracleHTTPServer part of 8i then note that there is a known bug in Windows XP Pro which causes Apache to corrupt web pages larger than 32kb. A hot-fix is available through Microsoft Support. Microsoft state that this will be fixed in service pack 1 of XP.

HTH

Steve

Just a warning - I don't think Oracle 8i is supported on XP - in case this matters to you.

As Steve said, you problem sounds like the Pentium-IV bug - just follow his suggestion.

I was unable to get Oracle 8i on my XP machine with all of the tools that go along with it. I ended up reformatting my machine and slapping Windows 2000 on it. The installation worked great then.

I agree with Mortonsa, We looked at 8i and 9i on XP and found difficulties, thus we reverted back to Win2k Svr.

Also something that has not already been said in here is that neither Win XP Home or Pro are of the Server platform, and should not be used as such if you anticipate heavy usage, or large data access - they are just not tuned for this type of use.

Win 2k Svr is the latest and greatest Win32 platform server until Microsoft releases its .Net Server (aka WinXP Svr) - though MS is still looking at a final release name for this version.

-- HTH
-- Charlie

FYI
As per my instrutor, who's has been working with oracle for 10 years. I was told that oracle does not run on windows xp.

Somewhere on this site is a post saying that only Oracle 9i is certified for XP Prof (NOT Home). DaPi - no silver bullet

I would like to point out to everyone that any conclusions that i mentioned above are those of my personal finding, they are not related to me via a third party, be it Oracle, or anyone else.

Our tests were conducted on a Compaq ProLient BL p-Class server, running Windows XP Professional (32bit Platform).

My Personal Conclusion is:
You should forget using Oracle 8i on XP.
It complete the install in less than 75% of the cases we tried. Of those that were succesful a negligable number of them functions with any reliability.

9i faired much better but was still plagued with problems.
Again, the amount of attention and time require to get it running, then to maintain the minimum level of service far out-weighted the returns of using xp

We may run tests alongside Windows Server 2003 - Datacenter and Web versions in the future and I will post our finding in here

I had no problems installing 9i (rel 2 EE) on XP pro.

We have had no problems running 81 with either a fresh install or upgrade of XP. The trick to installing on XP is as follows.

• Change the name of the symcjit.dll file.
For Windows XP: Change from symcjit.dll to symcjit_disc.dll
For Windows 2000: Change the symcjit.dll to symcjit.dll.ori
The path to this file is:
C:\stage\components\oracle.swd.jre\1.1.7.30\1\Data Files\Expanded\jre\win32\bin

The problems cited above regarding renaming the symcjit file apply to v8i and Pentium/and Some Xenon processors and is not related to XP as the OS....

We have several XP Pro machines with Version 9.2 and have had no problems so far..

I prefer W2K Advanced server as the Database server platform for the reasons given in a previous post to this thread, but, as to installation/use issues the XP ones 'work' as well as the W2K ones.

[profile]
PS - to the instructor that said Oracle does not run on XP, try to keep up, OK?[smile]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back