Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing 60gig drive for storage need a little help 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

praise2him

Technical User
Aug 22, 2003
US
Hi,
I have a system that is running out of room. Have recently installed a 60 gig drive but have run into as snag. It is a Maxtor drive and apparently the software that comes with the drive is supposed to help with formatting. The hard drive is recognized in the BIOS but that's about it. After installing the drive I restarted with the software in the computer as per instruction but there is no help as to formatting. Basically I need to know how to format for just storage space. My system is Win 2000/98 dual boot with a 40 gig drive already installed.
Thanks for any help,
Paul

you don't have to use the disk provided by the user...
you just need to restart the computer by connecting the new drve in slave mode. then boot into win2000 and then in the administrative tools you have something like computer management kinds thing just open it.
and you can see every thing. you do not need any fdisk...
this is very simple and interactive... remember after starting your computer you should be able to see your new disk in My Computer

Windows 2000 and XP cannot format a FAT32 partition greater than 32GB . However they will work with partitions greater than 32GB created and formatted by Windows 98. Because the PC in question is dual boot, NTFS is not an option since the drive was stated as needed for data storage and Windows 98 will not support a NTFS drive. Therefore, the options are partitioning the drive into at least two with Disk Management under Windows 2000, or creating and formatting 1 partition of 60GB under Windows 98.

Thanks for the help Freestone. My Win98 boots up to just a black screen so I created 2 partitions under Win2k disk management. Very easy! Again thanks,
Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back