Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installing 6.1a as ASP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott74

IS-IT--Management
Dec 30, 2003
US
Has anyone had issues with installing 6.1a (on win 2k $ IIS)as an ASP? We keep getting an error in trying to open reports or create reports via Webi. Tries to open as java applet even though it is installed as ASP. BO has recommended we install using Apache and Tomcat...but our current standard is IIS.

Need some help in understanding what the pros are of installing with Apache over IIS.

Thanks!

The Java Applet still needs to be used even via ASP. The applet is the Query panel. ASP or JSP doesn't have any effect on this.

You clealy need to fully examine you configuration and look at the config screens, you .key file, you universe domains, etc.

It would help to know what database you are attaching to. If it's SQL Server, it could be due to incorrect ODBC DSNs being set up.

Steve Krandel
Westbay Solutions

Hi Scott,

I have a similar problem, I'm not able to view reports but I'm able to create in Webi 6.1

If I create a report directly in Webi I'm able to see it..
If the report is created in the Client and exported in the repository I'm not able to see it..

Could anyone help me??
Thanks

Sabry

Lee,

Our issue is the opposite...after install fixes 55 and 57 from BO we were able to view full client reports...unfortunatley we can not create webi reports....nor view them (since we can not create). Had BO tech person look at it and could not figure it we. We are going the route of Apcahe & Tomcat...nicer functionality..plus we can get it running under IIS.

Thks Scott,

may be installing only the fix 55 or 57,
I will be able to see the Full Client reports on Webi..

I try and let you know
Thanks very much

Sabry

BO is coming out with 6.1b in the next few weeks...if not already...that fixes the install issues all the previous 6.1, 6.1a's were supposed to fix.

Wonder when 6.1c is coming....

Had typo in previous post....we CAN't get in running in IIS...which is part of why we went with Apache/Tomcat aside from the nicer look and feel of webi in that configuration.

Apache Tomcat or IIS. A question that is constantly discussed between the techies and the corporate purchasing people.
IIS virtually free and runs on windows. Hmmm Windows. Good sell poor product when it comes down to stability, reliablity and security. But old Bill does a good job of selling it and they have made a lot of people turn to Microsoft Windows as the Operating system. In that you get IIS so more and more people use it. Also ASP or to be more specific VB Script runs nicely with IIS. VB script is nice and easy to learn and just about anyone can make an application up using it. The application may be good or it could be down right bad.
Apache. Theres generally a cost involved especially on the corporate level. Runs on Windows or Unix or Linux the choice is yours. Windows is still inherently unstable but theres at lot of it about. Unix, very stable, quick but costly. Linux the new starter. It's being taken on by a lot of people including the UK military among others. It's quick, stable (generally) but new and who knows what bugs there are! Apache itself is a lot more stable than IIS, it's a lot more secure as well. From all accounts it's quicker as well, but that really comes down to the code that you are running. It will support JSP much more easily than IIS and as BOj recommend the JSP version over ASP (VB Script) there is some distance in this. The JSP version of the application is more stable than the asp version and it is further along in the development lifecycle as well. They even have a dhtml version of the query panel so they don't have to use the java applet panel.

So in short.
IIS, cheap, widely used, easy to support, a lot of people like it. It's not stable or fast or secure.
Apache, it's stable and fast, reasonably secure. Not as widely used, costly,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back