Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installer runs every time I open a different version of Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacroScope

Programmer
Jul 17, 2010
US
I have Access 2003, 2007, and 2010 loaded on my computer, but every time I open a different version from the previous version I used, an installer runs that seems to take forever. What can I do to avoid this?

All help will be appreciated.

Use shortcuts that go directly to the appropriate EXE, rather than using the **Application** shortcuts

The Application shortcut will update the registry to make sure that the appropriate version of office is ran when you double click on a file. This is shown by the behavior of Office opening a document in the last version of the application opened, rather than the version that created the file.

By creating a shortcut to the EXE, you cut out the installer hi-jack

Very cool! Thanks. I'll do that right away. If it doesn't solve the problem I'll let you know, but it sounds like you've hit it on the head!

I went directly to the file tree and tried to pen C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\MSAccess.exe for 2007 and it still ran the installer. I used no icons or shortcuts of any kind.

Any other suggestions?

Yep, there is no way around it. Access lets you have multiple versions on one machine because they are installed to different folders, however access also remembers the last version you used and if it sees a different version the install will come up.

If you dont ask you wont get :)
Steve Poole
Technical Analyst
Cinram UK ltd

Thank you to everyone who answered. It's annoying as hell, but I guess I've just gotta live with it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back