Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installed XP on Gateway M1634u. Can't find Sound Drive! 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randomcandle

Technical User
Nov 2, 2009
US
It comes pre-loaded with Vista, but I decided to go with Windows XP instead. Having a really hard time finding a audio driver for this model. Does it even exist? M-1634U. Guys at Gateway were no help.

Bummer. Guess you should have thought about that possibility FIRST. I keep telling people that as time goes by, you can't just ASSUME that you can keep going back to XP. Hardware non-compatibility moving forward will be happening more often all the time. It really is time to start PLANNING for the demise of XP. Not necessarily doing it right now, but at least plan for it. Lecture is now over.

Go into device manager, Right click, properties of unknown device (the sound card), details tab and give us the PCI\Ven....................

string of data so we can look for the driver that way. Or, try googling that string.

Please post the VEN&DEV numbers...

in the DeviceManager right click the items that have drivers missing, then under the tab DETAIL(S), find the HardwareID there you will find the VEN&DEV numbers, copy them down and paste them here, and I will be glad to post the link for the correct drivers...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

So there are two, and I'm not exactly sure which one to use, so I'll put them both here....

The first says ATI on High Def. Audio BUs
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_76A0&SUBSYS_107B0381&REV_1002\4&3268A118&0&0001

The other says ATI HDMI Audio
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1002&DEV_791A&SUBSYS_00791A00&REV_1000\5&21397807&1&0001

I hope that helps.

I'm not guaranteeing this, but give it a shot. Download and expand the downloaded file into a folder on your desktop. Then use the Device Manager and RIGHT click on the FIRST item you listed and choose update driver.

Try the Sigmatel driver from this page:

The second, VEN_1002&DEV_791A, should be installed with the ATI Graphics driver... Download the latest Catalyst Driver from the AMD/ATI website and install it...

The other, if the one by Goombawaho, does not work, then this one should:

Goombawaho - yep, beat me by a minute, for that I got to punish my apprentice at work, before I replied he asked me a question... I'll make him brew the coffee for a week straight, that should teach him...

Ben

I tried these alternatives, but none of them worked. I installed them and tried to update the drivers, but I'm still not getting any sound. I don't know if I'm just not doing it right, or if they're incompatible.

Now, check the Device Manager, are all the yellow triangles gone? if so then the drivers where correct...

The first one you listed, is Audio over the HDMI port, and the second is the onboard sound chip...

go to the control panel, and check the sound settings, e.g. what is set too...

Ben

Silly question, but are you entitled to a 7 upgrade?

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

I failed to find an EXACT match for that hardware. The closest things were all on russian sites. It's strange - normally you find a lot of matches.

Time to look up your gateway and send us the motherboard information, the north bridge and south bridge information as well.

I've tried...and hate to say it. But I really have no idea how to find the north and south bridge information. I'm sorry. Can you help with that too?

(Please be patient! I'm not completely daft)

Question: are the yellow exclamation marks gone or not?

also it has been known, that sometimes the onboard sound on laptops do not function correctly after a downgrade, why this is I would have no idea at present...

the Intel driver has the exact matching VEN&DEV number in the INF file... if the exclamation mark is not gone, or the drive did not install, e.g. xp states that NO matching driver to be found, then force install the driver...

to manually install the driver, DL the Intel driver I linked to, then unpack the driver using WinRAR or similar app to a folder, then follow the instructions on the following website:

report back...

Ben

I tried this, and it didn't work! I'm thinking maybe there's just no hope...or Im doing it wrong, but I followed the instructions on the website to the T. I'm thinking about getting an external Sound Card USB, and hooking my speakers into it. My friend who does computer-things says this is probably my best option.

BadBigBen - did you just add that hardware string to th INF file???

I'm thinking that that SHOULD work, but I was trying to exhaust other means first. It's odd that that specific hardware ID is not found with an exact match.

goombawaho - yes, the SUBSYS usually identifies the the manufacturer of the mainboard where the chip is integrated...

Subsystem ID (SID)

16-bit value located at offset 2E. The SID is the ID assigned by the manufacturer to uniquely identify the device.

Subsystem Vendor ID (SVID)

16-bit value located at offset 2C.

Note: The SVID is the ID assigned to the manufacturer by the PCI Special Interest Group (PCI SIG).
source: Microsoft: INF Requirements for PCI Devices

now, a signed driver will become unsigned, when you mod the inf file, as the hash used to sign a driver is no longer valid... this is no problem, since you only changed the identification process, not the driver itself...

Ben

Thanks so much for the help. I just went ahead and bought a USB sound card. Problem solved!

Arguably, it would have been smarter to go to Windows 7 if your laptop had a halfway decent amount of RAM. Instead you spent money on making an older operating system work for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back