Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installed video card

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcme10

MIS
Jun 21, 2002
US
Installed a video graphics card in my v480, made the proper changes to the OpenBoot configuration and issued the reset-all to stores the changes and reboot. The output goes to the graphics card but the boot up fails requesting FSCK to be run. After doing that, several times, I was finally able to mount the /var fs and startup the machine. The problem is, the output to the monitor consists mainly of just the startup messages and then nothing but a blank white screen.
The server comes up but I can't get to the CDE.
Also, for some reason, none of my startup scripts ran. NFS shares weren't auto mounted, MQ managers didn't start.

Any ideas?

The default factory settings for the Sun Fire V480 system are input-device=ttya and output-device=ttya. If you would like to use video/graphics and a USB keyboard, you will need to change the NVRAM settings manually (reference the V480 Admin Guide). To perform initial system boot up, use ttya. After the initial install of the graphics terminal and USB keyboard, the settings can be changed as follows in order for the system to be able to use the RSC, USB keyboard and/or the graphics card:

OBP variables RSC Console or Graphics Terminal

output-device= rsc-console or screen

input-device= rsc-console or keyboard

The new settings will remain intact until a 'set-defaults' or an equivalent NVRAM reset procedure (like Stop-N, L1-N, "double-tap" of the power button during rapid flashing of the wrench light) is performed, which will redirect the input-device and output-device to the default ttya.

For further support, access the Sun Fire V480 Server Administrative Guide at:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back