Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installed Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSSTechie

Technical User
May 21, 2003
GB
Howdy folks,

I'm trying to figure out a way to establish what updates have been applied to a Windows XP Pro computer.

I know of Microsoft's tool (QFECheck) that will display which Microsoft Updates are installed however, the updates that are applied to these particular computers are validated by a third party and released to us with different names so I want a script of some description that, when run, will search for a specific Microsoft Update in the QFECheck log file but then, rather than report the presence of that hotfix, to report the presence of the third party hotfix that installed it.

So far i've come up with a batch file command that will do this :

Code:
findstr /i KB822036 c:\temp.log>hfx.txt

However, this simply copies the name of the Microsoft Update into the new file. I want the name of the third party Update to appear there instead.

Basically, when it's finished, I want a script that will run through each 3rd party update that's been released at the time of writing (i'll update it when new ones come out) by detecting the Microsoft Update that it installs and to tell me which 3rd party updates are installed, and which are not.

Hope this is clear enough.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer

TSSTehchie

Ps. I've got no objection to it being a batch file, vbs script or any other types of script but batch file would be preferable as I know a bit about those.

[lightsaber] May The Force Be With You [trooper] [yoda]

I'm confused by the 3rd party. You have another app that installs your patches?

-If it ain't broke, break it and make it better.

Howdy

Thanks for the reply

There is no app to install the patches. The 3rd party checks them, alters them if necessary to suit the system then releases them to us. They are still basically the Microsoft updates (sometimes grouped together), just sometimes slightly changed and with a different name.

Thanks again

Hope this clears it up a bit

TSSTechie

[lightsaber] May The Force Be With You [trooper] [yoda]

Howdy

Sorted now, cheers anyway

I used :

Code:
findstr /i KB822036 c:\temp.log>NUL:&&Goto Found
Goto Not_Found
:Found
ECHO Hotfix X Installed>>Hfx.txt