Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

installed sql server 08

Status
Not open for further replies.

crackon

Programmer
Jun 17, 2009
where are the dbo's? imported some tables and cant find em?

what is a typical connection string to the dbo?

What do you mean here? The connection string to your database?

Did you install SSMS? Can you go there and connect?

Thats it, complete novice, whats the first move?>

Do you have SQL Server installed on your computer? If yes, which version?

Assuming SQL Server 2005 or 2008 with tools, go to Start / All Programs / SQL Server / SQL Server Management Studio.

This should open quite nice interface and the first dialog would be a prompt to connect. Hopefully all you have to do on this dialog is to press 'Connect' button.

Once there, look at the right portion of the screen called Object Explorer. Click on Databases under server name to expand it and hopefully you'll see the name of your database and then you can drill down to tables, Programmability (for Stored Procedures and functions), etc.

What if I need to move these dbos to a different server, what is the procedure please?

What do you mean by dbos? Do you mean databases? If so, there are some things you need to realize.

First.... data in a database is stored in files. Usually, there is one .mdf file (for the data) and one .ldf (for the log file). SQL Server runs as a service. When the service starts (at the time the computer starts), SQL Server will grab the files and lock them, so you cannot do anything with the database AS A FILE. If you want to move your database to another computer, the process is...

Locally:
1. open SQL Server Management Studio.
2. Right click your database
3. Click tasks -> Detach

Once the database is detached, you can no longer use it as a database, but you can start "working" with the files. Specifically... you can copy the files to another computer somewhere.

On the other server:
1. Right click "databases"
2. Click attach
3. follow the wizard.

If I am not mistaken (based on reading some of your other posts), you are switching from Access to SQL Server. I know this process can seem a little frustrating, but you should realize that what you lose in database portability, you more than gain in performance, stability, and reliability.

-George

"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

Thats whats confusion me, that database I worked with in access is gone -- I now have loads of tables, how are they one and the same on the connection string?

ps I'm running sql server 08 .. can seem to find tasks -> detach, also, the database I dont have software I can run, I can only ftp onto there server and they are running mysql

Do you want to copy data with data or just structures? You can create a script using Tasks / Generate Scripts and then selecting all objects and following the wizard's prompts. These scripts can then lately be used to re-create your whole database with tables, but only in SQL Server. In MySQL the syntax would be slightly different.

In SQL Server 2008 you can choose an option to script data as well.

If you would use detach or backup, you would only be able to attach/restore on the same version of SQL Server and not in Access or mySQL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back