Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installed program works only for admin 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalchri

Programmer
Apr 19, 2002
US
Specifically, I've had this problem with AutoCAD and a redistributable that I made for Crystal Reports. The way that I get around it is that I give the user that I need to run the program admin rights and reinstall the program.

Is there any way to grank a user the right to use a program after it is installed? Is there something that I can do at install time to guarantee that all users will be able to use the program that I install?

I do not have this problem with products such as Office. What can I do to the installation packages that I author so that this is not an issue?

Thank you for any advice.

I have found that some of the programs we use, can only be run by "power user" level....anything below that will not work. This gives them the ability to run programs, but not install them.

I am having the same problem with adobe acrobat, and its a total pain in my ass! If anyone finds out how to fix this please please post it. The issue i have is that you can open pdf files as any user however stuff like converting files to pdf will only work with admin rights and i have tried everything to my knowledge to give all users the same rights when it comes to adobe but still not working, guh.

is the OS running on NTFS?

maybe you need to give access to certain dirs to the non-admins so they can "see" the progs before running them

not an issue on FAT

In my case I did all that giving all user full access to everything in the adobe folder and even things like full access to system32. Yes NTFS, but still no go. I am pretty well certain that this is an adobe problem and not so much like a windows permissions thing, but I might be wrong.

Debbie2001,

I found documentation of this on Microsoft's site as well! However, I can't find the Power user group in the active directory of my domain controller. I was expecting to find it under Builtin but I can only find it under the user management of the local computer.

Do I have to manually add every user that is going to use the program on every machine as a power user? Is there a way that I can specify that my users are power users on the domain level?

Thanks for the help!

I would create a domain group called Power People or Power Members whatever, for you to remember. Add you the users necessary to that group. Add that group to the local Power Users group.

In doing this, you can add and remove members once, and have it applied locally. Hewissa

MCSE, CCNA, CIW

What if you have 150+ remote locations with each 4-12 machines and they all have this problem? Of course you could just make a script to do something like this, but there must be other solutions.

Make a script. Set is a logon script and your done.

net localgroup Power Users /ADD "domain_name\global_group" Hewissa

MCSE, CCNA, CIW

In my situation that won't work. I need basically to give plain users the same rights as admin but only for adobe. Or basically just have full functionality.

Make them local admins then. Change the script from power users to administrators. You tried giving them Power Users rights and Adobe still didn't work?

Adobe Writer or Photoshop? Does their site have any suggestions? Hewissa

MCSE, CCNA, CIW

Well local admin works but that goes againt the security policy so I don't even have that option. I have searched on adobe's site but it seems pretty useless for the info I am trying to find. Although I'm sure I will find a suitable solution/workaround, it just seemed odd to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back