Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Installed Office 10 over Office 2007 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AELLC

Technical User
Mar 27, 2014
US
When I try to open Word, computer says "configuring Office 2007" and locks at that point.

1) Did you uninstall office 2007 first
2) Do both versions exist on the machine?
3) Are you opening word2007 or word2010?

I think I know where this is going - uninstall 2007

I can tell you that '10 and '13 versions of Office work fine side-by-side, haven't tested '07 and '10 together. The way I did it was:
[ol 1]
[li]Office 2010 was already installed[/li]
[li]I installed Office 2013 but to a different custom folder[/li]
[/ol]

Now if I double-click any office document/file, it opens with 2013 by default. Some things are better in 2013, but I think some at least look better in 2010, but that's beside the point. One other odd thing I have is that now if I open a spreadsheet with 2013, it'll have 2 windows open - 1 for the main application, and 1 for the open document. I seem to remember having this issue when getting upgraded from 2007 to 2010 at work, but I don't immediately remember the fix, nor if the same fix will work for 2013. I think I posted the fix in a thread where I began asking about it, so I may run a search here eventually when I'm at home sometime. I can still open with '10 or '13 at my choosing. I'm trying to get used to just using 2013 there, at home, and will probably eventually remove 2010, and see if I can get rid of the phantom Excel window at that time. I might even run through another whole clean Windows install to do it, we'll see.

Anyway, if you do uninstall 2007, please report back with success or failure.

If you uninstall '07 and things still don't seem to run right, I'd suggest:
[ol 1]
[li]Use CCleaner to do a general system clean-up, and registry cleaning if you trust it enough (I've never had any serious issues - only seen one minor issue on one teenager's laptop some 8 or so years ago, I think).[/li]
[li]Run a repair of Office 2010[/li]
[li]If that doesn't work..[/li]
[li]Uninstall Office 2010[/li]
[li]Run CCleaner[/li]
[li]Reboot[/li]
[li]Install Office 2010 again from scratch.[/li]
[/ol]

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

kjv,
Thanks, but it will be a while. The problem is actually on a friend's computer, and it will be a few days before we can get to it. But I will keep you posted of the results.

I have Office 2007 and 2010 installed on one machine. The relationship is shaky. As long as I stay in Office 2010, everything seems to be okay. If I open 2007, it goes through the "configuring Office 2007" routine (comes back, but can take several minutes).

There is no need to uninstall Office 2007 when installing Office 2010, if you want to keep both versions. The configuration process is easily solved by following the steps at:
Cheers
Paul Edstein
[MS MVP - Word]

My answer to 3) should have ben 2007.

However I recommended deleting 2007 and keeping 2010,but my friend insisted on keeping 2007 against my advice. Now it is possible to open 2007 but only after there are about 3 messages about configuring 2007, so I also d/l Apache Office.

It may be all a moot point anyway because this puter is impossibly slow and old. It is an $800 Lenova w/ Vista upgraded to WIN7. The HD recently crashed and was replaced w/ a 500GB 7200 RPM SATA HD.

The Windows Experience Index is 5.0 CPU, 5.0 RAM, and 3.2 Graphics. (out of 7.9)

However there must be something slowing this machine down further. I did all the CCleaner tools, and uninstalled 4 junk ware programs.

Word 2007 opens but only after some annoying messages that it is configuring, etc. Is there some way to clear that up? We have the Product Key but no disk.

The link I posted on 9 June shows how to do that for Office 2010. For Office 2007, use the 'Let me fix it myself' process but change the '14.0' in the registry path to '12.0'.

Cheers
Paul Edstein
[MS MVP - Word]

The whole issue came to a head suddenly and I had to hire a professional to fix this and other issues. When I got the computer back, the power supply died and I ended up hurriedly installing a new one, and now all is fine except the computer professional recommended doubling the RAM and I will do that soon. (It was a WinVista machine, upgraded to Win7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back