Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

installed new kernel and still showing old kernel version on linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

strikelit

MIS
Sep 10, 2003
US
I istalled a new kernel version(2.6.13_15.18_smp)and get the following

# rpm -i driverloader-2.39_k2.6.13_15_smp-1suse.i586.rpm
warning: driverloader-2.39_k2.6.13_15_smp-1suse.i586.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKE
Y, key ID 5dfbf7dc
package driverloader-2.39_k2.6.13_15.18_smp-1suse (which is newer than d
riverloader-2.39_k2.6.13_15_smp-1suse) is already installe.

I have rebooted and still see the old kernel version.

uname -r
2.6.13-15.8
#

I dont have console to this workstation. I access it remotely.

Can you check if this new kernel is the default in grub when you boot?

--== Anything can go wrong. It's just a matter of how far wrong it will go till people think its right. ==--

Isn't the kernel itself usually in a kernel-*.rpm rather than driverloader-*.rpm, or is this some new-fangled thing I don't know about yet?

If it's the former, are you sure you've installed all of the correct RPMs?

Annihilannic.

Hi strikelit,

Have a look in /boot/grub/grub.conf and make sure that the 2.6.13_15.18 is being booted to.

You'll see a line called: (just an example from mine)
default=0

The 0 defines that the 1st kernel listed is the one to boot from.

If your 2.6.13_15.18 is the 3rd one in the grub.conf, the line would read default=2.

Let us know what you find.

Good Luck
DrD

The package does seem odd. Is that the full kernel or is that just a driver that needs to be compiled into the kernel?

If it's the kernel, see the mesages about Grub. If it's not, which is what I suspect, then after installing the RPM, you'll also need the kernel headers for the kernel and you'll need to recompile the kernel. In the old days this was a big task that isn't for the faint of heart, these days you should be able to just run a simple utility that'll do the heavy lifting for you.

[plug=shameless]
[/plug]

The driverloader RPM is a package from Linuxant which functions much like ndiswrapper. I've used it before for my wireless card, works like a champ.

I'm a little shady on what you're (strikelit) trying to accomplish. Just download the matching version for your kernel from the website and be done with it.

You don't need the kernel hearders unless you are compiling from source. The package comes pre-compiled for your kernel and should work, unless you downloaded the wrong version.

Lay There! [pipe]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back