Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

INSTALLED NEW 60 GB HD AND LOST MY CD 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
INSTALLED NEW 60 GB HD AND LOST MY CD AND DVD PLAYERS. WHEN I PARTITIONED THE HARD DR THE COMPUTER DESIGNATED MY D & E DR LETTERS TO THE HARD DR AND I CANT LOCATE CD OR DVD DR.
I'VE TRIED TO REINSTALL BUT IT WILL NOT PLAY A CD ANY IDEAS?

THANKS IN ADVANCE
LOPSTERMAN

I GUESS I SHOULD ADD A LITTLE MORE INFO.
I HAVE A AMD ATHLON 500 MHZ ON GIGABYTE 71X MB

MAIN HD 20GB(ALL MY PROGRAMS) PRIMARY MASTER DR C

NEW 60GB DR(PARTITIONED 3-20GB)DR D+E+F

What operating system? Win9x/ME, WinXP?

Sounds like your "hard disk controllers" aren't set properly. Look under Device Manager and see if they are flagged (! or X). If you have Win9x, then also check the performance tab which should tell you whether any drives are using MS-DOS compatibility. If so, then you've got a problem with those controllers!

Go here for more info:

There are MS articles at the bottom of that website you can review if you're still having issues...

We would need to know the OS. It sounds as if your old system setup had the drive letters D and E for the CD and DVD. If this is the case you only need to assign them correct designations (F and G) or whatever you may choose. I don't think you have lost anything.

How old is your mainboard? Have you tried updating your bios? that could be the easy way out ...

Later
NEo81 >:):O>

I think you have it, soonerland. Lopsterman, give this a shot.

Win9x., and probably ME as well
Right-click on the ‘My Computer’ icon, and select properties; the system applet should open. Select Device Manager, and click on the plus next to your CD-ROM entry. You should see both of your drives; right-click on the one jumpered master, and select properties. You should be able to set the drive letter here – make it the next one in the chain. Apply your changes, and click OK to exit. Repeat for the slave drive. Close the System applet, and check in Explorer; you should see the drives present.

Note: when you enter Device Manager, if any of the branches are open, it indicates either a driver issue, or a hardware issue. If the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers is open, there’s likely a hardware issue preventing the drives from showing properly (perhaps a bad or backwards cable, improper jumpers, or in a ‘worst case’, a bad IDE controller on the motherboard). This applies to the below also, and should be checked if the drives are not present as I describe.

Win2K and XP
Log in as Administrator, and enter the Control Panel. Select Administrative Tools > Computer Management. From the System tree, select Disk Management. From here, you will be able to see the drives that Windows recognizes. If all is well with the hardware, you’ll see your two truant drives here, and by right-clicking on each one in turn, you may apply the drive letter of your choice to them. Again, I’d start with the master, and follow the letter sequence.

Be advised that this is an advanced level of control over the hardware of your system, and carelessness or untimely distraction while clicking can wreak havoc on your computer. Pay attention, and read before clicking on anything.

Hope this helps.

DosMaster

"To err is human, to really foul things up, it takes a computer."
"Even a fish wouldn't get in trouble if it kept it's mouth shut!"
" *REAL* Programmers can write: 'Copy Con Program.Exe' "
SETI - Be part of something special:

The question is you mentioned 4 drives. Old hard drive, new hard drive, CDROM, DVD. You have to look at what cable each drive is plugged into. Sometimes if you put Two CD drives on the same cable, you may not be able to see either one. Try checking the cables and the jumper switches. On each cable there must be one master and one slave. I would recommend on each cable you put one harddrive and one CD/DVD type of drive, and set the CD/DVD to slave.

If your new drive is now the primary logical drive for the entire system then the drivers are on the the other hard drive. See if the CD/DVD drives show up in the Control Panel. Click on the System Icon and look at the device manager and see if they are installed.
If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

It sounds as if your bios has lost some of the compatibility with your drives. I had this experience with my Plextor 40X copier so just update your bios and it should sort it. If not go in to your device manager and change the settings from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back